Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Bienvenue Vacance!

Today was the last day of school for my little fish. He will be at the same school next year, but at a different campus with his oldest brother. He's quite excited about that since all his best friends are going there, and as he told me today, Sarah (the one having 10 childs) and Theophile (the one all the girls like) will be staying at the current campus.

The funniest part of the day happened when I went to pick him up from school. I brought my camera so that I could get pictures of him on his last day of dixieme (his grade). However, he wasn't nearly as excited as I thought he would be. He was happy, but a little gloomy. He could hardly look me in the eye and seemed very distracted. I looked at him close and thought I saw tears. Then he wiped his eyes and walked off. I called out to him. He came to me and I asked if he was crying. He said, "Connie, of course I was. I will not see Kouros for two months." I thought he was going to cry again when he said it out loud. I almost cried too because it was the sweetest little confession. Kouros' mom is an American, so she and I chat quite a bit. We decided to let the boys take a ball to the park so that they could play one more time. Rafael, another one of Zac's good friends, came along too with the permission of his grandmother.

On our way, we stopped at a local boulangerie to get the boy their gouter. I let Zac pick whichever one he wanted since it was the last day. He picked the largest thing they had. It's called a viennoise chocolate. Basically it's a baguette full of chocolate chips. I knew there was no way he would eat the whole thing.We continued on to the park at Avenue de Breteuil where the boys began playing football (soccer).
Within three minutes, Zac runs over to me with a bloody nose. And yes, he had blood all over his new shirt. It was actually his first time wearing it. Of course. He had a bloody nose in the middle of the night last night, and again 12 hours later. Bloody nose season in full swing. I had to walk around and ask for tissues. Until I had some, Zac was just hanging his head and letting it drip all over the grass. I gave him two, but I had to find more. Then I remembered I had some in his lunchbox. I gave him more. People, I was gagging. I have never seen a bloody nose like this one. Things came out that I've never seen before. He was losing brain, I swear. Even he was a little freaked out. We had to take his shirt off for fear that it would be a nasty mess by the end. I spared you all from the gruesome photos. Anyhow, twenty minutes later, he was back on the field.Too bad we left soon after the event. We walked back because I felt odd about taking him through the metro shirtless. It was only about a mile and a half back anyway. He finished his gouter on the walk. No clue how that large log of a dessert fit into his little belly, but it did.
He thought it was so cool that he could see his shadow. Not only that but it showed just how large the "rocks" in his arms were.
So there you have it. The school year is completed. Another to began in a couple months. Then you will get more stories all over again. But before that, many many travel stories. I can hardly wait!

2 comments:

The Barnyards said...

I love your blog....

Anonymous said...

I'm not actually sure how I found your blog but I haven't been able to stop visiting it since I did! I really enjoy reading your posts about your experiences in France - you're truly a gifted writer!