Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Multiple Choice

I'm going to embark on something big. I've never been good at following through with things. Some things, yes...other things, never. It is something I have been trying to work on since being here. The thing that I am going to challenge myself with next is a marathon. This is huge people. I am the sprinter type. I'm fast, but I've got no endurance. It is actually better now than it's ever been, but that's about six to seven miles. How will I take adding on another twenty?

I would love to run the Paris marathon, but it is in April which makes the heavy training during the thick of Winter. I'm from Texas. I can't handle that. So I've decided to train during Summer and Fall and run late October to early November, depending on which race I decided on.

This is where you come in. I've looked at all the races and I've narrowed it down to three. I'm going to post the positives and the negatives. I need your help. Which one should I do?

A. Venice - October 26th
This city is gorgeous. Done.B. Dublin - October 27th
Um Ireland. Land of greenness. Fresh air. English speakers.C. Athens - November 9th
The original marathon. Believe it or not, the race actually begins IN Marathon, Greece and ends at the Acropolis. I would have two more weeks to train. The course is brutal.Help help help...give me any and all suggestions. I hope to make a decision in the next two weeks!

8 comments:

Jennifer said...

what a tough decision! i vote Athens first and Venice second. wish i could run it with you. i'm dying to run a marathon and the thought of accomplishing it in another country turns me green. go the distance, rific!

connie said...

Alright, this is helping. Thanks Burbs:

Athens: 1
Dublin: 0
Venice: 0

Carri said...

You have got to be THE most inspiring person ever! You are fearless! I guess my first vote would be for Athens, but if it's a hard course I'm not sure if that's the best for your first marathon. Ireland would be my next pick...but honestly, any of the three will be AWESOME! Good luck! Keep us posted!

murielg said...

I vote for Athens as well!

I hope everything is going fantastic in Paris! :)
the best of luck!
Muriel.

connie said...

Hey Carri, hey Muriel...good to hear from you guys! This is awesome:

Athens: 3
Dublin: 0
Venice: 0

Casey and Katy Blackburn said...

I vote Athens #1 and then runner-up Ireland. Good luck! I ran the MArine Corps Marathon in DC back in 2005 and it is amazing. The training is hard work and there will be days you will want to quit the whole thing but sick with it b/c the reward of completing a marathon is life changing. The Marine Corps Marathon is Oct 26th this year but I think it is already SOLD OUT. Bummer...I could get to see you. If you need help with anything...training, gear, etc...please email me. GOOD LUCK!

Katy

INTRI-KATE said...

Well, as someone who has run 18 marathons (including the three you are debating) I would first like to say congratulations! You are totally going to love it. I know I sure do. My pick is Dublin, but only because I always look at the clock at 10:27.

Anonymous said...

B. Dublin - October 27th

Paula