I didn't make any big plans for tonight because I felt more like feeling sorry for myself. Whatever, I wasn't that pathetic. I had a full day of running around the city trying to find underwear for my twelve year old. I went to three Petit Bateau before I was able to get the amount I needed. Then I had to go to a specific optician to get the Rayban Aviator Original sunglasses that she wanted. Mosquito spray and sunblock were also on the list. Back home we can go to Walmart and get it all. Not the case here. Pharmacie for the mosquito spray, Monoprix for the sunblock, Petit Bateau for the undies, camera store for a disposable camera, and the street markets at Anvers for fabric to make a skirt for her game day. All of these things are for her two week camping trip for Scouts. Luckily I pulled it all off and was so exhausted by the time Johanna came over to start the 4th of July celebration.
I went home late, cooked some chicken pesto pasta for us two, then we made our plans. No, I didn't run around the Eiffel three times with a speedo and American flag cape. I considered taking Verena's American flag towel with me, but laziness set in and enthusiasm wore off. Instead we packed up a blanket, candles, a notebook and pens, and walked to the Eiffel Tower. Once we reached the end of my street, we stopped in amazement. The tower was lit blue. I'd like to think it is specifically for the Americans, but it might be lit this way until Bastille Day on July 14th, which is the French Independence Day.
Once we reached the Champs de Mars, we took lots of photos. For some reason we went nuts. We acted like tourists. The lighting wasn't so fantastic, but I was able to play around and grab some holographic type images. Bizarre, eh? It seemed that Johanna's duty of the night was to grab as many unflattering pictures of me as possible. I mean, she couldn't miss. I lost count how many times "eeeew, no!" or "umm, one more?" or "hahahhaha" came out of her mouth or mine when I was the object on the little digital screen.
I think this is the Posh Boy look, I think. Jo is that what you called it? She just told me the face I should make.
This is the "I'm a Parisian woman and you just stepped on my foot" look.
I was pretty proud of the one that looks like Johanna is hugging the Eiffel. Then there is the one where she surprised me by pulling out my Texas ornament. She stole it from my flat and brought it with her.
We stayed till after 1:00am, then walked to the river where she crossed and I walked back home. It was brutally hot here for a few days, but the two days of rain have helped immensely. I'm not used to a cool, almost cold, Fourth of July. There were no fireworks, no bonfires, no hot dogs. I had a great time without a doubt. Plenty of laughs, but I did miss Texas Fourth.
Happy Fourth everyone! I hope you enjoyed the birthday of the greatest country in the world!

1 comment:
This is the funniest blog.
I laughed.
I specially like the part of my no-aim photo. Aaah... Good times.
Post a Comment