Friday, July 4, 2008

A Night Out on the Champs Elysees

The title of this post is quite misleading. Most people think this most famous road in Paris is just for the poshy posh and for celeb spotting. Indeed not! It's where I do the odds and ins shopping for groceries or basic needs. And it is also where we watch some movies in VO (Version Originale) rather than VF (Version Francais).

So it was tonight. We are gals that are easily entertained. I had already seen Le Temoin Amoureaux (Made of Honor), but I really liked it. Johanna hadn't seen it though. She had free passes and got us in for free! Once we entered the theater we had disagreements on where to sit. She wanted to be in the middle, which I love also, but there absolutely must be empty seats in front of me so that I can prop my feet up. However, there must also not be anyone sitting behind us, because they might want to prop their feet up also. Our little debate got these two gals on the row behind us laughing quite a bit. We found out that they were from South Africa on business. Sweet gals, good conversation. Then the movie started. I had some French girls next to me that reacted to EVERYTHING. Oh goodness it took everything in me not to say anything. It's a predictable movie so I could hardly understand why they acted as if it was a suspense. I planned in my head how to delicately ask them to keep the volume down. I tried, but failed because they did it again and I snapped. I looked at them and just said "Arretttttttttte!"....then realized my rudeness and added, "S'il vous plait." At least they stopped, but I did feel a little bad. Movie was cute. Not life-changing, but good.

We weren't ready to go home just yet. A place to sit and chat would be good. McDonald's is always open, so that's where we went. For some reason we got Happy Meals. I ordered and the cashier was having a hard time telling us in English what the desserts were. I had no idea you could choose desserts with your Happy Meal. Nice. I told him to just tell me in French. He did and proceeded to fetch all the desserts so that we could choose from the four. Nice guy, I'd say. I chose pinapple and Johanna chose the yogurt drink. In total, our night cost us 8 euros total! A movie and dinner for the equivalent of about $6 each. We climbed upstairs to find better seating and spent an hour laughing. The little action figure from Kung Fu Panda was our little toy that came with our Happy Meal. It makes noises and everything, so of course we had to do the motions with the noises. We are cool. Little did we know how fast time was ticking. I looked at my phone and it was ten till 1:00am, which meant that we had about negative three minutes to catch the last train. We ran down and split off. The train going her direction picked her up in about two minutes. I waited and waited. Another train going in the other direction came by and the driver made the "C'est fini" motion with his hands. Long walk home. It wasn't bad. Good thing I like to walk.

No comments: