Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Honfleur = ahn-flure

I like day trips. It's one of those things that doesn't seem too exciting when propositioned about, but something I am always glad I took part in after the fact. My nose was stuck in a book. I was comfortable in a comfy old chair by the fireplace. Going to a small village did not sound like fun when I was exactly where I wanted to be. I knew the grandparents would need my help with the three youngsters and I knew I would get some great pics, so I went. I'm glad I did.

On our way we drove by this massive bridge covering the largest port in all of France. It was huge. There are petroleum refineries and ship manufacturers stationed there. It was a good little five-minute break from driving. Zac and Matteo are just the greatest of buddies. They are maternal cousins but could pass as brothers. I've never seen them fight, ever. They always include Angela when she wants. I love these two. I can just imagine them just as close as old men. I can't tell you how many times they were doing little math games. They even made up a math song. Old men.Onward to Honfleur, the oldest village in Normandie. And it shows. They houses are so incredibly skinny and not so symmetrical. I love how the ships dock in front of the houses and church. The old caroussel looks as though it's an original, which it might actually may. Everything about this little town was fantastic.A church that the King of England built. I need to do more research on this apparently.It was close to 4:00pm when we arrived which mean it was time for gouter. I noticed a Ben & Jerry's and Zac was enthralled. However, he decided that he would prefer a Nutella crepe. It ended up all over him, jeans, jumper, mouth, hands, everywhere.We walked up and down the streets and window shopped. There are so many art galleries with such incredibly varied paintings. Everything about the city seemed like a port city. I don't know that I've been to many, but even if I didn't know there was water nearby, I would know that it's a city on the water.This is on the inside of a large church. Since it's a port village, the church was designed like a naval ship, upside down.As we were walking down a street, Mamie pointed out a cidre shop. I walked in hypnotized. I LOVE cidre. I'd never had it till I moved here, but I just assumed it was like a spiced apple juice. Is it in the States? My family never drank it, so I never thought to drink it. The Val Richer has it for lunch and dinner and I consume it at both as well. It might be my most favorite alcoholic drink. Yes, I consume in moderation, don't worry. I do know that I am around children.

To end the visit, we let the children take a few rides around on the caroussel. They loved it. They were like jumping beans, just screaming and bouncing around. Angela was happy on her horse but Zac and Matteo changed their minds over and over again until finally settling on the old-fashioned car. As they were riding, the bridge opened up to allow a couple boats in. Pretty cool. As we ended it all, we walked back. I carried Angela miles during my week in Normandie. We had a poussette (stroller) for her, but it was rusty and non-operative most of the time. This sweet gal has rheumatoid arthritis and it's really hard for her to walk, especially after she has been sitting for a while. It pained me so much to see her hobbling around, so I took no pains to carry her everywhere. So she and I had some great bonding time, especially considering the three flights of stairs to our rooms at the top of the house. She could have gotten sick on me and I wouldn't care. I just love holding her.A good day. Maybe one day I'll come back.

No comments: