Bastille Day. One of the biggest days of celebration in Paris. There are many days of celebration, but this is a big one as it's the Independence Day of France. Of course I wanted to do something and pretend that it was the Fourth of July, but not likely considering they don't have grills and lakes and ice chests and fishing poles and hick accents. So, Johanna and I decided to do, just
something. We planned to go to this little quaint restaurant near Madeleine, only to find it closed. Sadness ensued. However, we did pass a building that had recently been through a tragic fire. This is really a tragedy to see because these Parisian buildings are so old and beautiful. People were still living in it strangely enough. We made a few jokes about going up to their door and telling them that there was a fire.

We kept walking and walking until we found a couple places and chose the tropical restaurant. I was actually, shockingly, in for trying something new. Might be my first. And on the menu I chose the "risk". And I was happy. Johanna was not happy with her choice as you can see from her facial expression. My meal was so unimaginably scrumptious. I'm a new fan of pineapple and that's putting it mildly. I could marry pineapple.


My mouth-watering meal.

Johanna's knack for capturing me with odd expressions. I might give her a reward. At the time we were walking along Boulevard des Capucines. I love that street.

After dinner we took the metro, clogged as it was, to the Eiffel Tower. It was mass chaos. More people that I could have imagined were huddled around the tower, just waiting for the fireworks show. We tried to be in view, but failed. We saw parts, but not the full thing.


At one point I put my camera setting on rapid and basically have part of the show in still shots. It's kind of cool. Instead of posting each picture, I put it in a comic strip setting. Hope you like it.

Then we thought that if we walked toward the river, we would get a better view. And we trampled, jumped, climbed, hopped fences, all of it. As we walked past the tower, I was a little amazed. One of those moments when I said to myself, "I'm in Paris!" It always hits me at the most odd times. I took this photo to mark the moment.

We got to the river and still, no view. Stuck behind trees. Too many people. At this point it was close to midnight. The coolest part of the whole show was that it was syncronized with opera music. It put emotion with the display and I was in awe. Only if I saw the show. Fantastic.


The most of the show that we saw all night.

This was our main view. Thanks tree, love you better at winter. Shed those leaves, shed em.

And once it ended, we walked our separate ways. Johanna over the river to the Champs Elysees, and me across Invalides. That was Bastille Day for us. A little anti-climactic, but good.
No comments:
Post a Comment