Sunday, July 20, 2008

"I'm gonna kick ya in the shin!"

And that's a line that my college friend Audra used to say to crack me up. She did it with her index fingers over her eyes to make imaginary over-dramatized eye brows. It's now something that I do to the kids to make them laugh. And yes, they imitate it and do it to me. All because of Audra. She and I share some fond memories from college, mostly embarrassing moments and odd happenings, but those are our favorite things anyway. And this is why I was so excited to get a message from her saying that she'd be stopping by in Paris on her honeymoon.

I met up with them on a Friday night at the Invalides metro station. We hugged for a long time and it felt like I'd just seen her last week, not years upon years ago. Since I've realized how much I miss touch. I miss hugs. A lot.

They saw my apartment and we sat for a short bit before heading over to Saint-Michel for dinner at a Thai restaurant. Beef and broccoli for me. And yes, it was delicious. After that it was pretty late. We had walked around beforehand to see the area and sidewalk shows, so we called it a night and planned to meet up the next morning and hit the ground running.

We spent the next two days together. I won't hash out all the stories from each place, but will share a bit. My recommendation for our first place to go was to have lunch at the Pere Lachaise cemetery. It's one of my favorite places and it's so incredibly peaceful. It's also quite a tourist attraction as well. It was a perfect time. We just sat (in a restricted area) to eat with a view of Paris and some pretty incredible sepulchers and headstones. Talking, laughing, telling stories from the days of old, we really enjoyed ourselves. I can remember Kyle saying that this is the kind of stuff he remembers. You know, times of relaxation, with friends, just enjoying conversation and the atmosphere. I couldn't have agreed with him more.
This is where Moliere is buried. As you see, there are professional grounds keepers that keep this cemetery quite beautiful. His might be the most taken care of that I've seen.As we were on our way out this little lady bug landed on my hand. I think it's an albino lady bug. I've never seen a yellow one. I loved her, so we took pictures. She was quite keen with me, I think. She stayed for quite some time and I didn't mind.We went to Opera (where I took them to the top of Galeries Lafayette), Madeleine, Champs Elysees, then to Trocadero, then over to the Eiffel Tower before we called it a night before dinner. I didn't take many photos because I already had some of all of these places and I knew my computer would be not so happy with me. The next day is a bit of a haze. I'm pretty sure we started the day off with going to Le Cordon Bleu, the famous culinary school in Paris. I guess it's worldwide. I actually looked into taking some classes there and I would LOVE IT, but it's not the most cheap place. I will probably do a couple of night seminars or weekend classes. Kyle wanted to see it because he went to the same school, but in Portland. Afterwards, we trucked it to Montmartre. We went through Place de Tertre (a word I will never be able to say) to check out the artists, then to Sacre Coeur to sit and each lunch with a breath-taking view of Paris. Not my favorite, but still pretty amazing. Then we headed down the massive hill to the main drag which leads up to the Moulin Rouge.
We hopped on the metro to Hotel de Ville. Our intentions were to continue on the tour, but we found ourselves in a state of exhaustion so we spent a long hour or so in a little cafe-type shop talking. Oh and we had the strangest lady next to us. I do remember that. Very quirky and eccentric. Our last stop was Notre Dame. It was then that I had to leave them so that I could pack for London. I will say that I still didn't get to bed till 4:30am.

It was such a treat to see Audra and meet Kyle for the first time. I had a great weekend with them and it came at a perfect time when I really needed to see a familiar and close friend. Love you Aud!

No comments: