Saturday, June 21, 2008

"TONIGH...."

Tonigh...Alright, so that's an inside joke, but it was also the most overused work of the night. It is also supposed to be used in an Australian accent (which is why I didn't type the "t"). It was the Fete de la Musique, the celebration of summer solstice. Music played all around the city and the whole town is out on the streets.

I met up with Johanna (Swede) and Ellie (Australian) and we walked around together. We battled the crowds and had some great conversation along the way. I'd describe it all, but there is too much. Lots of alcohol and lots of cigarettes everywhere. Everywhere. We couldn't dodge the smoke. Ellie got coffee and Johanna got a baguette sandwich, but that was all for us. We had talks about summer travels. I have tons of places that I want to go, but nothing is set in stone yet. Ellie mentioned that she wants to hike and I almost tripped because I was so excited that I found a girl that wants to go. I've been dying to go on a hiking trip since I was in Greece a year ago. It was just a big tease to drive around the old Byzantine ruins and not be able to hike them. So since then I've been hoping to find someone that would want to go with me. We are thinking about going on a four or five day trip to Chemonix in August and just roughing it. I'll keep you posted on if it all pans out.

This was just on the side of the Louvre. We heard this horrible music beat and assumed it was coming from across the river, but NO, it was from the backs of three guys. They were each playing an instrument and had a Bose attached to them.After an hour or so of walking around, we went down tot he river to sit and talk and let our legs hang off the bank. I am so upset because my camera batter died less than halfway through the night. The river was calm, except for after a boat passed. When that happened, water would splash up and get me and Johanna wet. Twice we thought our purses were about to fall in. My phone came very close to taking the plunge. We were there for about an hour, but we basically forced to leave by the heavy smokers that took up residence next to us. We left and all felt as if we smoked ourselves. We could taste it on our tongues. Disgusting.Look at all the people on the river banks. We ended up sitting on the oppostie side later on in the night. It was already about 10:30pm as this time and look how much light we still have!Crowds at Saint MichelIn front of Notre DameMore crowdsI love when the sky is this blue at night. At this point it was about 11:00pm.I am so sad that Spring is over, but hopefully Summer won't be too brutal. I'm already remembering how wonderful it used to be to have air-conditioning. Windows are great, but when there's no breeze, they serve no purpose.

1 comment:

INTRI-KATE said...

ummm...I'm gonna need you to ask Johanna where she gets her rockin clothes. That white thing is soooo pretty. Or if you could just steal hers and mail it to me that would be fine too. Thanks. God bless.