Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Filet Mignon et Tian de Legumes

It was my second night under pressure to make a meal that was requested. I had to make the French dish using French instructions. Not easy, but doable. It takes quite a bit of time just to prepare it and almost two hours to cook. These people love to cook their veggies to death.

Tonight I made Tian de Legumes as the side and Milet Mignon as the main. These were the ingredients required: eggplant, zucchini, tomatoes, red and green bell peppers, onions, garlic, salt, pepper, and olive oil. I had to cut each of the vegetables in to 4mm slices. Painstaking is the adjective to describe that.Then, once they are cut, you have to alternate vegetables and cram them in the casserole dish together so that the juices soften them in the oven. After they are in the dish, you drizzle olive oil over it all and add salt and pepper and garlic and thyme. Then I added a wee bit more oil. I had the oven set at 190 degrees (cannot do the conversion for you Americans) and cooked them for almost two hours.They looked beautiful when they were done. I don't usually like smushy and soft veggies, but I'm telling you...this was delicious! I had two servings. All natural too! You can't beat it.
*Please click on this picture to enlarge. It looks SO good!*
For the filet mignon I sauteed onions, garlic, and mushrooms in oil for about ten minutes, then salt and peppered the meat. Then I added it to the pan. It only took about ten minutes for that to cook. You don't want it well done, just barely cooked.Ten minutes later...Et voila! There is one of my new meals.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bonjour Connie! I love reading your blog and seeing your pics. They're beautiful! Those veggies were amazing. In Grenoble, I stayed with a Japanese friend who has a great vegetable slicer. I'm looking for one online like hers b/c it sliced up veggies all perfectly the same size in no time and blade wasn't metal so I didn't season the meal with my flesh as I too often do with knives. If I find out more about the brand and a place to buy it, I'll let you know. Looks like you could really benefit from something like. It's small so storage wouldn't be a problem. Have fun and cook on!
Amy