I started off the year by knowing hardly anything about French culture, or any European culture for that matter. I had never been a traveler. I don't feel I've changed since I've been here, but I've just grown. I feel as though I can related to a much broader people now, just by being in such a melting pot of places.
Today I can say that I love my life. My decision with God's direction to move over here was ordained and I knew it when I took the step. I knew it would be a great year and I knew that I would learn more than I could fathom up, but I didn't really have this in mind. Taking steps is crucial for growth. I want to keep on taking them. I love to be challenged. I'm ready for the next step. My next year will be better. I know it will. A list will be made of what I want to accomplish; things I want to see and do and things I want to learn. I have another year to accomplish these things. A second chance.
I moved into an empty box and made it into my cozy home, gradually. It looks better now, but I am too lazy to take another photo of it.


My fancy cooking used to look like a piece chicken breast on a George Foreman grill and a baked potato with cheddar and salt or just a bowl of cereal...to a three course French meal in under an hour.I met six strangers and have come to know them as my family.
My first picture with Zac and Verena, just minutes after we met.
The sweetest little French boy ever. He's won my heart.
And how Zac and I look nowadays
And without further ado, here is my list of things I've learned about...
The sweetest little French boy ever. He's won my heart.
And how Zac and I look nowadays
COOKING
Veal
Vinaigrette
Pasta Carbonara
My own lasagna dish
Lamb
Lemon crème sauce
Mushroom sauce
Country gravy
Béchamel sauce
Tomate Farsie
Couscous
Taboule
Saucisse et lentils
My own country soup
Apple curry chicken
Teriyaki chicken with fried rice
Fajitas
Salsa
Spanish rice
Crepes, all kinds of crepes
Quiches, all kinds of quiches
Roast beef
Tzatziki
My own avocado spread
Gratin d'endive au jambon
Ratatouille
Tian de legumes
Spaghetti bolognaise
Shrimp Remoulade in avocado
Celeri Remoulade
And more than I can't think of right now...
FRENCH
I…
Can have a simple conversation in French
Make a few French jokes, “C’est bon, hein?”
Can tell the different between an American and a French person within one second
Know whether a person is speaking French or English while I am listening to my iPod, just by the way their mouths are moving.
Appreciate the old-fashioned way they operate here
Can tell you where anything in Paris is located and take you there
Navigate through the city like native Parisian
Have noticed that the French really like to smoke
Have learned how to do the French “shrug”
Say “oh la la” almost daily and not as a joke
Am used to seeing French boys and men and dogs peeing in every imaginable place
Have adjusted to living in a 200 square foot box quite comfortably
Can dodge pigeons really well
Go by military time now
Hate French milk
LESSONS
Traveling is more than seeing new places
The valleys are to be cherished
Love is universal
Savor everything all the time
I’m not even close to perfect
Look where you are walking, you might step in something
Herbs, crème and butter transform a meal
French phone plans are legal fraud
Good deodorant goes a long way
God is Good all the time
TRAVELS
Beaches of Normandie
La Mont Saint Michel
Nantes
Lisieux
Brussels
Bruges
Stockholm
Barcelona
London
Athens
Kythera Island
Deauville
Paris Metro
MYSELF
There is no doubt that I am an introvert
I love to read
Ironing my linens is a must now
Full fruit bowls make me happy
I’m not disciplined with learning a new language
Walking could be my job
I love history
Close friendships are something I value highly
I’m a lot like my mom
I am a good disciplinarian and I enjoy it
Writing has overtaken me
I’m a beloved daughter of the King
I say “like” a lot
Fresh flowers change my mood for the better
I love hugs
I miss hugs
I’ve driven 6 days in the last year
I haven’t watched television in a year
EVENTS
Equestrian lesson in Normandie
Marionette show in Brussels
Carriage ride in Bruges
Swimming in the Mediterranean
Dancing with Greek dancers in Athens
Les Miserable in London
Monastery on Kythera Island
Many sunsets on the Seine
Walked barefoot on the beaches of Normandie
Tasted an authentic Belgian waffle
Hiked through Byzantine ruins in Greece
Dinner at Notre Dame
Picnics at the Eiffel Tower
Attended the French Open
Things I Still Miss...
Chuy's
Family
Ruthie the Great
Friends
Sewing
The Village walks
Chipotle
Pei Wei
La Madeleine
Dinner nights with Emily, Ashley, Kellie, and Michelle
QuikTrip fountain drinks
RaceTrac Taquitos
Margaritas
Crystal Light
Blockbuster
Braum's Chocolate Pecan Frozen Yogurt
My couch
Barnard's
Lubbock
Howard's
Buchanan's
McDonald's
Northpark
WM Crossroads Small Group
Hugs
Barnes & Noble
Cocoa Mole Larabars
Honey Peanut Balance Bars
Einstein cinnamon sugar bagels
Panera Bread cinnamon crunch bagels
Both of those with honeynut schmears
Driving
Free and available sports courts
Sprint-to-Sprint
Free library cards (even though I didn't take advantage of this)
Whole Earth Provision Co.
Walmart rotisserie chickens
Orbitz Spearmint gum
American priced makeup
Lakes
I could go on, but won't.
Veal
Vinaigrette
Pasta Carbonara
My own lasagna dish
Lamb
Lemon crème sauce
Mushroom sauce
Country gravy
Béchamel sauce
Tomate Farsie
Couscous
Taboule
Saucisse et lentils
My own country soup
Apple curry chicken
Teriyaki chicken with fried rice
Fajitas
Salsa
Spanish rice
Crepes, all kinds of crepes
Quiches, all kinds of quiches
Roast beef
Tzatziki
My own avocado spread
Gratin d'endive au jambon
Ratatouille
Tian de legumes
Spaghetti bolognaise
Shrimp Remoulade in avocado
Celeri Remoulade
And more than I can't think of right now...
FRENCH
I…
Can have a simple conversation in French
Make a few French jokes, “C’est bon, hein?”
Can tell the different between an American and a French person within one second
Know whether a person is speaking French or English while I am listening to my iPod, just by the way their mouths are moving.
Appreciate the old-fashioned way they operate here
Can tell you where anything in Paris is located and take you there
Navigate through the city like native Parisian
Have noticed that the French really like to smoke
Have learned how to do the French “shrug”
Say “oh la la” almost daily and not as a joke
Am used to seeing French boys and men and dogs peeing in every imaginable place
Have adjusted to living in a 200 square foot box quite comfortably
Can dodge pigeons really well
Go by military time now
Hate French milk
LESSONS
Traveling is more than seeing new places
The valleys are to be cherished
Love is universal
Savor everything all the time
I’m not even close to perfect
Look where you are walking, you might step in something
Herbs, crème and butter transform a meal
French phone plans are legal fraud
Good deodorant goes a long way
God is Good all the time
TRAVELS
Beaches of Normandie
La Mont Saint Michel
Nantes
Lisieux
Brussels
Bruges
Stockholm
Barcelona
London
Athens
Kythera Island
Deauville
Paris Metro
MYSELF
There is no doubt that I am an introvert
I love to read
Ironing my linens is a must now
Full fruit bowls make me happy
I’m not disciplined with learning a new language
Walking could be my job
I love history
Close friendships are something I value highly
I’m a lot like my mom
I am a good disciplinarian and I enjoy it
Writing has overtaken me
I’m a beloved daughter of the King
I say “like” a lot
Fresh flowers change my mood for the better
I love hugs
I miss hugs
I’ve driven 6 days in the last year
I haven’t watched television in a year
EVENTS
Equestrian lesson in Normandie
Marionette show in Brussels
Carriage ride in Bruges
Swimming in the Mediterranean
Dancing with Greek dancers in Athens
Les Miserable in London
Monastery on Kythera Island
Many sunsets on the Seine
Walked barefoot on the beaches of Normandie
Tasted an authentic Belgian waffle
Hiked through Byzantine ruins in Greece
Dinner at Notre Dame
Picnics at the Eiffel Tower
Attended the French Open
Things I Still Miss...
Chuy's
Family
Ruthie the Great
Friends
Sewing
The Village walks
Chipotle
Pei Wei
La Madeleine
Dinner nights with Emily, Ashley, Kellie, and Michelle
QuikTrip fountain drinks
RaceTrac Taquitos
Margaritas
Crystal Light
Blockbuster
Braum's Chocolate Pecan Frozen Yogurt
My couch
Barnard's
Lubbock
Howard's
Buchanan's
McDonald's
Northpark
WM Crossroads Small Group
Hugs
Barnes & Noble
Cocoa Mole Larabars
Honey Peanut Balance Bars
Einstein cinnamon sugar bagels
Panera Bread cinnamon crunch bagels
Both of those with honeynut schmears
Driving
Free and available sports courts
Sprint-to-Sprint
Free library cards (even though I didn't take advantage of this)
Whole Earth Provision Co.
Walmart rotisserie chickens
Orbitz Spearmint gum
American priced makeup
Lakes
I could go on, but won't.
These are the things that just stood out to me today from this past year. I've enjoyed every second of it. There were times when I cried because I thought the loneliness was going to take me over, but there have also been times that I cried because of the pure joy in my heart. The loneliness wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. It hasn't been bad at all actually. But the times of joy have far surpassed any other emotion I've experienced, besides gratitude. I have the best bosses that a girl could ask for. I am really only disappointed with myself regarding my French. I could have done so much better this year. Maybe I'll be fluent at the end of year two. It's actually amazing that I can function as well as I do here with my English and broken French.
It's been a great year. I'm glad that it's been documented on this blog. For those of you that read, both those that I know well and those that I have never met, it's been a pleasure. It's been my diary and my journal. It's been a ride.
It's been a great year. I'm glad that it's been documented on this blog. For those of you that read, both those that I know well and those that I have never met, it's been a pleasure. It's been my diary and my journal. It's been a ride.

1 comment:
I have loved following along with all your adventures. You are my hero. ;)
Post a Comment