If you don’t like pessimists, don’t read this blog. Today I reached my limit. I will say that I am allergic to the sun in Greece. I don’t know how that happened, but it’s showing up on my arms, legs, and waist. I have these little hives. I’ve been in the sun my fair share, but for some reason, my body is rejecting it this time. Hopefully it will allow me to stay home tomorrow while everyone else is at the beach.
We drove a lot today. Daddy George is a crazy driver and should work at Six Flags and captain a roller coaster. He really does scare me. He fears not that he has six children in the back without seat belts on. So we drive and we drive. We find a monastery and we go in. It had gorgeous flowers and a set of Greek twins that were hit with the ugly stick. I couldn’t stop staring at them. I usually never say things like that, but they were about 4 years of age, but somehow looking like grown men. It was so odd.
We go into the actually chapel or whatever the Orthodox call it. I start snapping way with the camera, doo di doo, snap snap. Then I this woman gives me some hand signs that signal me that I cannot take pics in there. Upon leaving I see that there is a sign that say it’s prohibited to take pictures under Greek law. I broke the law today and I got away with it. Three hail Marys.
We drive more. We eat at a restaurant and I chow on some spaghetti bolognaise. It was really good. Zac leaned over and fell asleep on my lap. I must say that he cheers me up by hugging my arm and kissing it. That kid can be so sweet sometimes. We go to the car and grab towels and then find a place nearby for them to nap while the adults finish their wine; leaving me with the kids.
Angela hugging on Mamie Jacky
At this point, the last thing I could want would be to get back in the car behind George. I wonder if anyone has died while he was driving. It seems very possible. We drive the beach and get lost on the way. Jacky and George yell loudly and I think some French profanity was thrown out.
I got on the beach and went crazy. This is the beach with the beautiful rocks. No sand, just colorful beautiful rocks. I have kept a plastic bag in my tote just for this occasion. I sat on the rocks for a couple of hours and kept my favorites. My sun allergy ensued and still continues. I fell asleep on my towel in the shade. We load up and George gets us stuck in the sand. He kept pealing out and it’s like it didn’t occur that dry sand isn’t the best place to test out 4 wheel drive. Pierre was in a tizzy and yelling, I assume, mean things in French. Everyone has to get out while Pierre fixes it. Finally, we drive down the beach to a lagoon. It was beautiful.
I have a language issue with Pierre that went something like this:
Connie: “Do you see any shade?”
Pierre: “Rocks?”
Connie: “No Pierre, shade. No sun.”
Pierre: “Do you need zomething in zer car?”
Connie: “No, I don’t want to be in the sun, I want to be in the shade. I don’t feel well. I’m ill.”
Pierre: “I give you zer keys.”
In all seriousness this caused me to cry for about a minute. It’s so funny looking back, but dear Lord I have ten more days. I feel like I have absolutely no freedom. I haven’t felt like this since before I was in high school, but it wasn’t that hard then because I’d never had my freedom before. I can’t hop in the car or on the metro, I can’t go the store, I can’t speak my language, I can’t talk on the phone, I can’t email. I can take pictures and throw kids in the water, but that’s about it. I’m sore from throwing them in the water, I’ve got a rash, and I have taken over 500 pictures. I’m not even halfway through this trip.
Then, George backed into a tree with the new Rover and busted out the tail light.
I’m not done yet.
We had octopus tonight. I cut off the suction cups and luckily I kept eating the entrée so that it wasn’t too obvious that I wasn’t eating the octopus.
I want to be back in Paris right now. Just the thought of 9 more days just makes me so sad. It really does. I know, all of you hate me for crying my woes as if things are so horrible on this island. You just can't understand.

No comments:
Post a Comment