Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Athens, here I come!

So the time has finally come to leave Kythira. I leave with Mamie Jacky, Papi Pierre, and Zac to Athens today. Sophie brings Matteo and Angela to see us off. I will really miss them. I will miss Matteo each morning running up to me, sword and shield in hand, grabbing my neck and kissing my cheek and saying "Bonjour!", then running off. I will of course miss Angela's puppy dog eyes and sweet hugs. Oh yeah, Zac is wearing my sunglasses, and it's the last time I saw them. I only have this picture to remember them by. It's just a 40 minute flight. We will meet up with Daddy George, Babette, and their three grandchildren Prune, Rose, and Maxou. I think it will be good to see them again as they left three days ago.

The flight was absolutely miserable. An inferno. It was hot when we came to Greece, but leaving was worse. It was unbearable. When we were landing I looked at Zac and he had sweat beads all over his face and he had unbuttoned his shirt. The only good thing about the flight was that they provided chocolate croissants. I stood up to leave and noticed that five men were bare chested. Seriously disgusting. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

We take a cab to the hotel. Downtown Athens looks like an entire city of horribly scary NYC back alleys. It was so dirty. I didn't like it. There were, however, lots of Starbucks. This was taken from the backseat of a taxi that went really fast.The insides of stores were very clean. Our hotel was alright. I am sure it hasn't won any awards or anything.
We arrived, then showered to get ready for our night out. I have to admit that I had a blast. We took a cab to the McDo. I thought this was our final destination, but it wasn't. It was just kind of a landmark. We walked through so many street markets selling everything from purses to flour-filled balloons with faces, and tons of jewelry. It was all lit with warm lighting showcasing the ruins and old historical buildings from I-have-no-idea-how-long-ago. I have never felt so dumb in my life. All of my former history teachers are shaking their heads with disapproval right now.





We walk through the streets and hear this music. We walk up and there are dancers and singer and musicians in this little courtyard. I was so excited. It was actually the restarant we had reservations. They played the song from what I thought was My Big Fat Greek Wedding, but I was informed it was from Dancing Zorba. Then I put two and two together by realizing the restaurant in My Big Fat Greek Wedding was called the Dancing Zorba AFTER the movie. Again, I feel dumb.




I planned to order, go figure, chicken. Then Annie said "You don't want to eat Musaka on your last night in Greece?" I had to ask if Musaka was a Greek dish. Yes it is. They forget to order for me. Then they realize they forgot to order half of the meals. "No more Musaka" we are told. I end up getting lamb in lemon sauce with potatoes and steamed veggies. It was so good. Oh so good.

We drank wine and watched the dancers and singers. Perfect atmosphere. It was possibly the best night we could have had in Greece.

Zac, as you can see from previous blogs, doesn't try to keep his clothes clean. Well on this night I had to make sure he did since the night's outfit would be the next-day's outfit as well. At dinner I tucked his serviette into his shirt and spread it out so that he wouldn't get his spaghetti bolognaise all over it. Then we got ice cream. When we got back to the hotel, I noticed that he was CLEAN. It's a miracle. We gave high fives and did dances. It was a very special occasion that he stayed clean. We get to the room, I open the door, and he says my name. He's got a bloody nose all over his shirt. Perfect. It was his 9th bloody nose since we left Paris. Is that normal?

No comments: