Happy 4th to all my people in the States!
I am very sad now. I am lying in bed about to write about my day, only to find that two posts are gone. I have no idea what happened to them. Well I got to bed early last night only to wake up at the crack of dawn because the sun was beaming into my room. I assumed I was awake for good, so I grabbed my camera and took a picture of my view outside of my door.
I had to take a picture because you wouldn’t believe me if I described it to you. I started to read again, which of course and as always, put me back to sleep. I woke up again and saw that Zac was still asleep. Woo hoo, more sleep time. When he woke up, he and I ate some breakfast. I did my duties which is getting him dressed and making the beds of Matteo, Angela, and Zac. Then I grabbed my book and read in the room with the kids. I am not sure what my responsibilities are so I figured that staying in the room with them, I couldn’t go wrong. Then I helped with lunch and dinner. The ratatouille for dinner was prepared before lunch. I was in charge of cutting the eggplant and aubergine, both of which I have never eaten. Babette went on and on (in French) about how perfectly I cut the eggplant. I was thankful since I upset her by putting the yellow bell pepper in the pot with the green bell pepper. I didn’t know, I blame it on the language barrier. She still talks to me in French all the time. I can’t tell if she is hoping that I will pick up on something she says or if she is just talking to herself.For lunch I prepared the entrée. It was cucumber with an olive oil basalmic vinaigrette dressing and garlic. I had no idea if I would like it. It’s my duty to announce to the kids “A table!” I will say that the cucumber entrée was superb! I am shocked that I liked it. Then we had spaghetti noodles (that was buttered up) and sausage and puree. It was good. I am beginning to crave chocolate like a pregnant woman. I am fearful for how much money I will spend on it when I get back to Paris. Then I fear I might have to buy new clothes after I eat all the chocolate that I will buy.
After lunch we headed to the beach in the new Land Rover. It was possibly the roughest ride ever. The view was excellent and the water was the perfect temperature. The view goes without saying. Beautiful. At first I hated that the beaches are big rocks, but it’s great. There’s no pesky sand all in your hair and nails and clothes and towels and shoes. It’s more comfortable to lie on when you are sunbathing.

Sweet Angela!Dinner was so great. It’s of course the Fourth of July in the states. My French family pulled out the American Flag to don the occasion. Pierre hummed a tune while marching around the table with the flag. They asked me to stand and sing the anthem. Hmm, no. I told them that I don’t sing, but that I would recite the Pledge of Allegiance. So I did for the 188th time this year. Tonight marked a first of a lot of things. I am perhaps the pickiest eater known to man. I started off with a Greek alcoholic drink that Pierre and George say is “better than whiskey”. My thought was “When is Rome, do as the Romans do.” Sidenote: I am chuckling in my bed now thinking about Ron Burgundy on Anchorman. This liquor is called Anis. It’s got this long history that they told me about and which I can’t remember. I guess that mean the drink works well. They also brought over a French 2000 red wine. It was really good. I don’t know much about wine, but I know this was different and has a smooth taste. I was taught how to drink it by the French. I found myself completely soaked in the moment and so incredibly thankful that they have welcomed me into their lives. Not many people get to do this. I forget that just three weeks ago I was eating cereal on my couch watching tv. Now I couldn’t imagine doing that. I can’t even imagine not using a cloth napkin with a ring (serviette). Which makes me think of tonight when Matteo came in my room naked and asked for his serviette. I am thinking “You are naked in my room and that’s what you are worried about?” Then I realized that a bath towel is also a serviette. I can only imagine what he would think if I brought him a tiny little cloth napkin.
New foods for today:
Eggplant
Aubergine
Cucumber
Honey dew melon
Anis
New words:
Abeille – bee
Guepe – wasp
Froid – cold
Triste – sad
Fatique – tired
Courguette – I thought this was an aubergine, but just found out that aubergine is the French word for eggplant, so I don’t know what veggie it is that I ate.

No comments:
Post a Comment