I was given a handful of gift certificates to Darty so that I could just go get what I wanted. That sounds fine and dandy, but most Darty's only sell plasma tvs in the stores. I was told that I would have to order a tube television via the internet. Well I tried, but the internet does not accept Darty gift certificates. Oh woe to me, woe to me.
On a different note, this weekend while I was cleaning my apartment I became overcome with frustration as I was crouching down sweeping my floor with a tiny broom and dustpan. My mother can attest that I have a handful of hair that falls out of my head each day. It makes no sense that it continues to stay as thick as it is with how much I lose on a daily basis. This becomes a problem with you live in only a 20m2 flat. I decided that I needed a vacuum. I decided that I would use my Darty bucks to do it.
I went on Monday to get it. I figured that I might as well get my dvd player while I was there. I went to the vacuum (aspirateur) section. I found the one I wanted. I told the worker and she said they were finished. I pointed to the next one. Well apparently that was one finished too. Finally, my fourth choice was in stock. Success.
I went upstairs to get my dvd player. I told them I wanted the Schneider 436. It was finished, I would have to get the 439, but it was finished until 3pm the next day. Seriously. I went to the cashier and paid for my vacuum, then had to go downstairs to retrieve it from the service person. I put the bag on the trottinette and was on my way home.
I did some research when I got home. I was bound and determined to get my tv and dvd player the next day. I found out that the Darty at Montparnasse had my tv and dvd player. Score! Yesterday I set out on my mission. I went to the family's flat to get the trolly to help with transporting it. I got there and found my tv and dvd player. The tv, finished. I had to take my second choice. The dvd player, finished. I had to take my second choice. Get this: the tv and dvd player did not come with the cables and cords necessary to work. You have to purchase them! Ahhhhh.
I went to pay which was a massive ordeal in itself. For some reason they were completely puzzled by the 24 gift certificates each in the amount of 10 euros. Once this was completed, I went out to the service desk to get my items. He hoisted the tv on the counter and I almost passed out. The thing was massive. I pointed to my trolly and the man put it on there and taped it so that it wouldn't fall off. I started to think about my bum foot and how that might also hinder me. All of the stairs in my future began to flash before my eyes. It was too late to decide to come back later. Even if I did, what was my other option? Have a friend come and bear the pain with me?
This is when I began to laugh. Those that know my mother know that she is strong-willed and can tend to be a little impatient. However, when she and I are in that moment, it's not impatient at all because we've waited long enough. That's what happened. I was tired of waiting, so I put myself through pain and ridicule and a lot of work.
I want you to picture this. Me with a bum foot, hobbling through the metro with a 21 inch tv (still in it's box) on a trolly and a dvd player in a bag. There were steps going down and up. At one point, this American man held open a door for me. He recommended that I push the trolly down the steps rather than pulling, giving me more control. That was great advice. I actually wished he would have helped me do that rather than "guiding" me and watching. I was on the metro and feeling good. I arrived at my stop, Varenne. There were four flights of stairs to the exit. I made it up one flight without tripping, falling, or fainting. Then, the angel of mercy paid a visit. This sweet woman helped me the rest of the way by carrying the bottom end for me. I wouldn't have made it without her.
I was feeling good. I finally got to my building. Then it hit me. I don't have a lift. I live on the sixth floor. I took the tape off the box and trolly and carried the tv up the stairs...hobbling, remember. Do you have a clear picture in your head? I finally made it to the top, then I had to go back down to the first floor to get the trolly and dvd player. Once I arrived at my flat, I was breathing so hard that I thanked God I didn't have asthma. I immediately took the tv out and got it all set up. I got on the internet to get the hack code for my dvd player so that I could pop a movie in and enjoy my new purchases. Low and behold the 439 doesn't have a hack code. This means that I can't watch ANY of my movies from home. Isn't that grand! Now, I have this tv and dvd player that is no good to me whatsoever. I do have one cd that I bought that will play on it.
Feeling completely defeated, not to mention exhausted, I listened to my Brooke Fraser cd on my tv and dvd player.

1 comment:
holy crap that thing is huge!!!
but let's talk about something more exciting...like that HAT!!! Oh my stars, it's adorable!
Post a Comment