Friday, October 12, 2007

I love IKEA: Part Deux

I haven't felt like my flat is my home. A rug has been on my "must have" list since I moved it. I cannot handle wooden floors all over. I love laying on the floor, sitting on the floor, but it's hard to do when it's made of wood and not carpet. My friend Jelena has a cousin with a car so we decided to go on the second Saturday in October.

We met up at 2:00 on Saturday afternoon at Chatelet. Once we met up, she started walking toward the metro. Um, no car? Indeed, no car...we would be taking the RER, then a bus to IKEA. It's wasn't too bad getting there, but then I thought about our way home. How would we carry everything through the metro turnstiles and fight through the crowds on the night of the Rugby quarterfinals when France was playing New Zealand? Hmmm. We laughed and said that we were ready for some funny moments.

We walked through IKEA and I saw so much that I needed. I just kept grabbing things and putting them in the basket. After about 30 minutes, we stopped at the cafe and got coffee and pastries. It gave us just the amount of energy we needed to get the rest of our shopping done. I found my rug. It was large, but cheap and beautiful.

When we finished checking out, Jelena had to go to customer service to ask them something about a missing piece from an item she purchased a month ago. That took another 45 minutes. It was 6:45 before we even got to the train station. Luckily we didn't have to wait too long. Jelena and I discussed how I would get my things to my flat since I had a rug, a side table, and two full bags. She only had one bag. We decided that I would wait at Chatelet while she ran home to put her things down, then she would come back and help me take my things to my place. THEN we could get ready to go see Rugby at Hotel de Ville with all of our friends.

That happened, all fine and dandy, until we got to Hotel de Ville with our falafel in hand. It was so incredible packed. We were smushed, smothered, and claustrophobic. I almost got sick in the head because it was so crowded. For about a half-mile radius the streets were packed with people watching the match on the screen. I figured that being in my flat and decorating was more fun than fighting the crowd to find out friends.

Without further ado, here's chez moi!




New things:
black and white rug
cover for my make-shift sofa
green and white pillow covers
duvet cover
side table
green circle rug
placemats
coffee mugs w/ saucers
cereal container
knife set
toothbrush holder
towels (which I've already partial dyed green)

1 comment:

The Barnyards said...

I really really like!!!