Sunday, October 28, 2007

My Stockholm Friend Came to Paris: Part Trois

Here we are again, another day. It was Seanna's birthday so we had to do something to make it memorable. We started off by hanging out in my flat. I made her my favorite dessert for breakfast - plain yogurt, banana, blackberry confiture, and brown sugar with little hazelnut cookies crumbled in it.

We finally made it to the metro that morning on our way back to Notre Dame to see the vendors on the Seine. I love walking to the metro these days. Fall in Paris is so beautiful! The changing colors of leaves and the cool air and the grand buildings just remind me I am in Paris.

The grayness was back and the fog took over the city. It didn't stop the tourists from getting out. Too bad they all couldn't see it during summertime when the sky was the color of a cerulean crayon that I would use till it became a nub. We walked until our appetites became quite consuming. Then there was the pain of decision-making on where we should eat. We walked through the narrow streets of the 5th arrondissement. I showed her where Kellie used to live, as well as where a few scene from The Devil Wears Prada were filmed. We ended up near the Maubert-Mutualite metro. There were three cafes on one corner. We looked at all three and chose the wrong one. From the outside, it looked like this quaint Frencie cafe with a calm atmosphere with comforting food. When we were seated we realized that you can judge a cafe from the outside looking in. There was pop music, smoke, and weird food. The comforting food that we craved from the menu was their brunch menu, which we were indeed too late for. We decided to apologize and leave in favor of the cafe just across the street. It was there were I had my first burger and fries at a cafe in Paris. I know, I know...I just wanted comforting food and I didn't want to take the chance of getting something I didn't like. Seanna opted for the Croque Madame. It was quite good. We were pleased.



Before we set off for our next tour, we took advantage of a free toilet. It was actually 50 centimes, BUT if there was someone currently in there, then you could walk in after them and not pay. That was exciting. Now this toilet was not a normal toilet. It was very sanitary. It had an automatic toilet seat cleaner. Literally, the toilet seat was twisted all around and wiped by this machine while making a horrible, almost like nails on a chalkboard, noise. However, it cleaned the seat so I am not complaining. I almost feel like I should have paid the 50 centimes for such service!

We trekked towards the Eiffel Tower. I figured it would be perfect to save this for Seanna's big day. The sun has been setting incredibly quickly. When we arrived it was still light. Within an hour, complete darkness. There were quite a few people out. Itw as almost like a carnival. Little carts for popcorn, some for cotton candy, face painting. The smells were so familiar with a different surrounding. I wonder if I will begin to think of the Eiffel Tower when I smell it again, or will I still think of the Texas State Fair? The coldness was beginning to overtake our fingers. There is no metro close to the tower, so we began to cross the Seine to Trocadero. That's when it sparkled. Seanna was fascinated. The sparkling tower does something to you. A person freezes and admires. Friends of mine that have lived in Paris for years do the same thing.




We made it over to Trocadero. It's the first time that I have been there as well. I couldn't stop taking pictures. They turned out so well. It's when I see these pictures that I am shocked and in disbelief that I really live here. I have access to see this every day if I want. These are things that we should be charged to see. Things that you could search for in the states to be matched in beauty, but would come up empty.


After having our fill of sparkling lights, we hopped on the metro towards the 3rd to my friend Jelena's flat. Girls from church were getting together to have dinner and I wanted to stop by to say hello. Her flat is on a famous street lined with cafes and markets. Sunday nights are usually bleak in Paris, but in rare neighborhoods some places are still open for business. However, we discovered another French annoyance. You cannot simply go into a restaurant for drinks and dessert. Inside seats are reserved for guests that will eat dinner. We were pointed towards the outside tables. I went towards the table under a heater...no no no, that's for dinner guests as well. We left in a huff. We found another place across the street. They would let us sit inside but their desserts looked as if they were from last week. We passed. Starbucks shined like a beacon in the night, but it would not be very French of us to have a Starbucks drink and dessert on Seanna's birthday. We persevered. We found another very posh place. We went in. No, they wouldn't serve us at all - wouldn't even let us sit outside. Seanna was on the verge of tears. We tucked our tails between our legs and went back to the first cafe to take a seat outside in the cold. We were so proud and didn't want to admit our folly, but this time they were kind and obliged to let us sit under the heater. Seanna ordered champagne and chocolate mousse and I got a coffee and the chocolate fondant. They even put a candle in the middle of her mousse and sang Happy Birthday/Joyeaux Anniversaire to her. Believe me, what you all think of the French, it's not true. I hope that by the end of this blog, you will agree.


We sat for a long time, just talking and laughing. The waitors kept coming outside to check on us and always gave us a laugh. They seemed as though they were hyper from boredom and just wanted to make some American girls laugh. Towards the end, Seanna did something that I would very typically do. She swung her arm and knocked her champagne glass off the table and it shattered on the ground. She gasped. To our shock, the waitor came out and jokingly said "OH MY GOOOSH!" He cleaned it up while the other waitor brought out another glass of champagne for her, even though she had drank all of the other one.

The night actually turned out better than expected. We made it back to my flat and enjoyed a good night's sleep.

No comments: