I get there and tell him the story, show him my foot, then ask for advice. "Get another bandage." That's it. Get another bandage. I had a crime scene at my flat and all I need is another bandage? I grab another bandage and leave. I called a few friends to ask advice. Most say that I need to go to the doctor or the hospital. I call the father back. I ask for the family doctor. He's only a pediatrician. No luck there. He mention that there's an emergency clinic, but I will have to wait for most of the day. I said I would take my chances and asked him where it was. He didn't know. He just mentioned to go the pharmacie and ask them what to do. So should I do that with sign language or hand signals? I can't do it in French.
I had two more hours until Celine would be at my place for lunch. I went ahead and left her a message saying that I needed her help. She called and I told her the story. She was at my place within an hour. We changed my bandage carefully and decided to wait for Adeline to get a professional opinion. She would arrive in four hours. Celine and I went to the store downstairs to grab some groceries, then came back and made a superb lunch and enjoyed great conversation.
Before setting out to see the pharmacist, I borrowed Verena's trottinette (scooter) so that I wouldn't have to walk, I could just cruise. I knew I would need it since we planned to walk to the Eiffel Tower to see the Rugby match once we were done at the pharmacist. Both pharmacies in my area were closed. We had to walk another few blocks. The pharmacist looked at my foot and was appalled that I didn't go the doctor to get stitches. She said it was too late to get them now, but she would sell me some oxygen. Yes, oxygen. It is a glorified bottle of hydrogen peroxide, and an expensive bottle at that. I also needed more bandages. Then we were on our way.
I have yet to see a Rugby match, ever, in my life. I was excited that my first one would be at the Champ de Mars on the lawn in front of the Eiffel Tower, projected onto a massive screen. We arrived hours before the match started, just so we could find a spot. There were already tons of people there. Most had bottles of alcohol sitting in front of them. Many had their faces painted, and still more were wearing festive berets. We grabbed our seats near the front and close to the police. Since the match hadn't started, they were showing the opera. Only in France will they prepare you for a Rugby match with Opera music. Yes, the Four Tenors singing their hearts out. I enjoyed it, I have to admit. It did have some sort of calming effect. It seemed to quiet things down because as soon as a set would end, the crowd would get roudy. Then when it started back up, the crowd got quiet. Amazing!
The weather began to get colder by the minute. I soon ran out of layers to put on. The crowd was getting larger and the spaces in the grass were filling up with inebriated people. There was chanting, flags waving, fires bursting into the air, and lots of drinking. I was so fearful that someone was going to either trip or fall on my foot and send me into hystarics. That, coupled with the cold, I was ready to go. The match would start in thirty minutes and I was ready to go. I told Celine and Adeline. Luckily, they were on the same page and wanted to leave too. So we did. That was our night. Not too exciting. France lost against England 9-14. Sad day for the Frenchies.
This guy actually ate an entire wheel of brie cheese and a baguette.
And it sparkled for us!

1 comment:
uhhhhh...is it weird to eat an entire wheel of brie and a baguette? i think it sounds heavenly.
and I would also like to mention that I laughed out loud at this:
He mention that there's an emergency clinic, but I will have to wait for most of the day. I said I would take my chances and asked him where it was. He didn't know. He just mentioned to go the pharmacie
because it sounded like you were writing as a french person trying to speak english. fantastic.
Post a Comment