Saturday, October 13, 2007

Every thing is fun-and-games until someone steps on a glass...

*Warning: if you have a weak stomach, do not read this blog.

Tonight had been planned for a while. Verena and I have wanted to have a Girls Night since I arrived in France. We had a list of things that we wanted to do. It didn't quite work out like we planned.

She came over around 9:00 since her gym class wasn't over until 8:00. I had three cheese tortellini with a tomato sauce on the table when she arrived. We sat down and enjoyed a good meal, complete with Coke and a baguette, as well as the new serviettes and placemats.

Afterward we popped some popcorn in a pot while deciding on our movie of choice. The movie we chose: 13 Going on 30. I moved the coffee table to the side, pulled all the pillows to the rug, moved the side table in front of us to place the computer on (since I still don't have a tv and dvd player yet), and we began the movie. Lights were out and we were crunching on the popcorn. After the movie was over, Verena wanted to play on the Mac program Photobooth. It's her favorite thing to do. The lights were out so we couldn't get our pictures to turn out right.


I asked if she wanted me to turn on the lights and she said yes. Since I am such a great host, I thought I would entertain her with my quick agility by jumping completely over her. I did that successfully, only to land on her glass of Coke. That wasn't good. I managed to turn on the light. When I did, she screamed before I could even see what happened. The glass completely shattered and a huge shard had gone into my heel. Blood was already all over the place. I was fine, but had no idea what to do.

I hopped to the bathroom to put my foot over the toilet. She was on the verge of tears with the sight of all the blood. While saying a few panicked words in French, she began cleaning the Coke and glass that was on the floor. I just told her to go to her house to get the pharmacie (medical kit). She was out the door. What I say next will probably make you laugh. My first thought was, "Get pictures of all of this." So what did I do? I hobbled on one foot around my apartment - one hand taking pictures, the other holding the toilet paper on my heel so the blood wouldn't squirt on the floor anymore than it already had.
It was EVERYWHERE.






Verena came back with the kit. We proceeded to clean the wound. She tried to clean it as best as she could, but we still weren't sure it is was clean.

I went into the bathroom and I had to awkwardly hoist my leg into the sink to rinse my heel with water. Then she asked, "Can I take pictures while you are doing that?" I, of course, said yes.



We got the heel all bandaged up. At this point it was 1:00am, so no one was really awake to come check it out and see if I needed stitches. All I could think of was to get my flat back in order. It drives me crazy to have everything out of order, so I hopped around while Verena played on PhotoBooth. She was so sweet and spelled out a message for me.













I woke up this morning and could hardly walk. It's such a gorgeous day that is begging me to get out and run. Not only can I not run, I can't walk with any sort of speed. I thought I would attempt to go the Pharmacie to see what they could tell me to do. They don't speak English, so my efforts would be in vain. Instead, I called Celine. She came over and looked it over and helped bandage me up again. However, I am going through bandages pretty quickly.

If you have gotten this far in the blog, give yourself a pat on the back. I hope that I don't have anymore blogs this horrible.

2 comments:

The Barnyards said...

I'm really sorry you cut your foot but those pictures made my stomach turn more than once.....yuck, ouch....

Anonymous said...

Connie Con,
My lips are on your cheek and my arms are around you holding you tight. Mom ooooxxxx