Saturday, October 27, 2007

My Stockholm Friend Came to Paris

It's been a while since I've blogged, but I've been busy hosting a sweet friend. Seanna and I first met when I received an email from her on my blog site. She was wondering what type of camera I used. We began writing back and forth and started a friendship. She's American, as well, and is an aupair in Stockholm. Her birthday was on Sunday and the family she works for had plans to be in Chicago during that time. They felt so badly about being away on her birthday that they got her a flight to Paris to see me.

It was a busy time, but also time of just strolling around the city and sipping on coffee and eating more than our fair share of pain au chocolat. Honestly, we ate way too many of those.

Well I went to Opera to pick her up from her bus stop. She arrived much earlier than I expected and even had a hard time getting in touch with me to tell me she had arrived. Why is it so hard to make a call from a cell phone. I still can't figure out how to call internationally (other than the US) on my phone. As soon as I got her, we needed something to drink. We had a bit of time to spare so we well to Starbucks at Opera. You wouldn't believe it. It looks like a grand ballroom on the inside. Something you would find in a fancy restaurant. High cielings, ornate architecture, gold everywhere, chandeliers, velvet chairs. Unbelievable.

Then we had to leave to pick up Zac. She was able to experience his dramatic nature and extremely cute personality. Seanna was able to walk around a bit of Paris while I was working. I had to basically give her my map and wish her well. She did get to see Rue Cler and Rue Saint-Dominique and cross Invalides. Once I got off work, we left for Hillsong. We arrived late, which I am used to by now, but she was able to meet all of my friends. We chatted for a while afterwards, then went to a cafe for coffee and dessert. I have learned that in order to have dessert at a restaurant in Paris during cold weather, you are forced to sit outside. Inside, where it's warm, is reserved for guests that eat meals. Whatever the case, the tiramisu was fantastique and so was the company.

Saturday morning was restful. We were slow to rise, but had big plans. The days here have been gray and wet. It's not beautiful, but it's Paris. Pictures will look different, but they reflect what it's like here once summer passes. We took a tour to Montmartre - through the Assemblee Nationale, Place de la Concorde, Madeleine, Sainte-Lazare - and were able to get some great pictures. I was able to get some portraits of her when I saw some great lighting. One of the guys that sell string and try to put it around your finger (recall the story when Sam was hassled by that man at Sacre Coeur) touched my hand and I lost it. "Non, MERCI - s'il vous plait!" and I was rather brut with my request. He was very mad at my and slap my arm with force. I just get so annoyed with all of it. I wasn't pleased with the way I spoke to him, but having conversations constantly interrupted and someone that you don't know touching you can cause a bit of slight rage. After that we continued up to Sacre Coeur. It's still my favorite view of Paris. I just love it up there. I love the area. It seems the least changed and still reflects a bit of bohemian.

I wish I could somehow attach the cold breeze, smells and noises that come along with all of these pictures...

Assemblee Nationale


View east from Pont de la Concorde

Place de la Concorde - Luxor and the Ferris Wheel

Clocks at Sainte-Lazare

Le Moulin Rouge


Look towards Sacre Coeur through an alley

Top of the Carousel at Sacre Coeur

Paris Pigeons

One of my favorite views

We walked over to the area of Montmartre that is famous for the bohemian lifestyle. The movie Moulin Rouge, if you will. I found a doorway that was so rustic and had just the right amount of light setting in. Seanna was my model and I got a few good ones of her. Walking over to the square, we admired the painters that sit and paint while you watch. Some are cheap and some pieces go upwards of 450 euros. You can buy watercolors or paintings of Paris scenes or have your own portrait drawn. Inside of the square is a little cafe that is perfect for atmosphere, but hard on the wallet. It was so cold that sitting down near some warmth sounded like the best idea. The food seemed cheap. I got the Croque Monsieur and Seanna got the Crepe Eugene. It tastes okay, but the large Coca Light they brought was fantastic. It was American sized. Most restaurants serve drinks in little glasses that resembles a children's serving. I probably could have made a better Croque Monsieur on a heated sidewalk with American cheese and cheap sandwich meat. The host was overly helpful and nice. At one point he came up and asked "C'est bon?" I said, "Oui, merci." He held his hand out to mine so I shook it, saying "thanks." Well he held it and rubbed it just long enough to give me the heeby jeebies. Six girls were seated next to us and were obviously American. They asked what we ordered because it looked great. They must have just arrived in Paris or else they would have known that this was just fast food. We took their group picture, and they took one of us. Just in from Connecticut, they were wide-eyed and excited about what's ahead for their trip. It always brings back the feeling I had when I arrived. We received the ticket and gasped. My meal was 5 euros and my drink was 7,30 euros. Can you believe that? I huffed and puffed for about an hour, but I'm over it now. Basically that coke was about 12 American dollars!

Beautiful Seanna



Hidden Talent



Lunch in the cold atop the mountain in Paris. Notice our 7,30 euro cokes on the table.


She was singing her heart out - La vie en rose


The Famous Abbessess metro


We left soon after for line 1 to Chateau de Vincennes. My friends from church were there playing touch rugby. I figured it would be good to take Seanna to see a Sportslife event, then we could get roam through the chateau afterward. The weather was almost unbearable. It was so cold. Seanna says I have thin blood, coming from Texas. Since she's from Minnesota, it's a little thicker. I'm new to all of it. We stopped at a boulangerie to grab a couple pastries, then we headed towards the fields. We didn't stay too long. I met a few new people, but we were anxious to see the chateau.

Right across from it is the Parc Floral de Paris. Gorgeous. There is even a sweet man with his son right in the middle. They were a bonus in my picture.

Instead of giving the history of Chateau de Vincennes, I will just give you the official website: http://en.chateau-vincennes.fr/










Look, a draw bridge!

Yes, you are reading that date right - it dates back to the 1300s


The rest of the day is too long to continue on this blog. It's coming next....

1 comment:

INTRI-KATE said...

oh woooooowwww!!! It all looks so beautiful and fun and romantic and medieval and cold!! I wanna come play!

And I died laughing about that guy slapping your arm and the waiter holding your hand lingeringly. You clearly should have kissed him, Connie. Then maybe your cocas wouldn't have been so expensive.