First stop. Montparnasse Cemetary. Woohooo. On our way we saw a Hertz office. We've been searching for rental cars for the trip to Normany on Thursday. We got the answers we needed and continued on. There were about three flower shops nearby and I couldn't pass up taking a picture or two.

Once we arrived to the cemetary Sam said, "Connie you are soo good with the map. Impressive." I gloated of course. I have been to more cemetaries in the last two days than I have in the last 15 years. I kind of like it but they are starting to look the same. I saw the last name Bernard and almost took a pic for Marla and Justin, but Sam and Melissa said it was dumb because that's not how their last name is spelled. Our intent was not to walk around and look, it was more to just walk through on our way to a destination. Just to humble myself, I got us lost in the cemetary. I was miserable because of my poor decision of an outfit. The skirt was like Suran Wrap. For some reason the phrase "There is a tornado up my skirt" came out of my mouth and I have no idea why. This was just the beginning. We were a few breaths away from rolling on the gravestone from laughing so hard. Melissa managed to get an awkward picture of me doing a duck waddle and singing a Beyonce tune. To use the aversion method, I will ask if you think I need to get my hair cut. It's long, right? Look at all those trees lined up so perfectly. Oooh and all those pretty gravestones.
We finally found our way out. Basically we just went back the way we came after feeling completely defeated. My map didn't show where the Catacombs were, so I was taking my best guess and hoping not to disappoint my dear friends on their short trip. I kept joking and saying, "The Catacombs are right THERE..." and pointing. Well we arrived at the intersection where I envisioned it and saw a group of people at this park gate. I said "The Catacombs are right THERE!" Melissa said, "Connie I think that place looks a little too happy. It's a dog park. I mean a No Dog Park." There here you have it...the world's first No Dog Park in Paris. This was our second go 'round of the giggles.We took the metro to the Jardin du Luxembourg. I've been here before, but can't get enough of it. I've taken pics and posted most of the high points, but took more artsy photos this time around. I wish that they were able to see it on a beautiful day with blue skies, but at least it wasn't raining yet.
We walked around and saw runners. Some were inspiring. Others, not so much. This guy didn't leave too much to the imagination. Melissa and I both got pics, but mine is a little bit more respectable and doesn't have so much zoom.
This was right around the fruit gardens. This guy had a torch and he was just firing it at the ground. It was interesting. We could just tell how well they take care of the premises. I posted pics of the best green apples in a blog a couple months ago that were in this same area. Now the apples are covered. I think they saw me take pics the last time and thought it would be best if they were covered from now on.
We had a leisurely walk and took it all in. There is too much there to post in one blog, but here are the highlights.


Before realizing that our metro stop was back on the other side of the garden, we sat for a while on the green chairs and laughed about how tired we were. Melissa managed to nab a picture of Sam and I in a moment that isn't too uncommon. I happened to be talking about my feet throbbing (no, I wasn't rapping), and Sam was giving the disapproving look to Melissa.
We began our trek back hesitantly. Our feet were hurting so badly and we could hardly convince ourselves it was worth moving. Our next stop would be Sainte Chappelle. We have been to the Notre Dame area so many times, that it's become more like an old hangout. Once we crossed the center of the garden, Melissa and I start quoting Anchorman and the giggles start back up. It starts with "I love lamp." She started talking about the bears and says "Look what you've done!" and that gets me into a hunching position. We walk up the stairs and this older man that does not speak French or English, but Mandarin begins to yell at us in this raspy voice. It still doesn't stop our giggles, but only encourages it all. I mean, come on, where else does this kind of stuff happen?We need chocolate at this point. I am glad to know that I am not the only one that has this issue. We stop at the same Patisserie as we did last night, but this time instead of an eclair, we get the pain du chocolate. We take it to Subway across from Notre Dame so that Melissa could get a fountain drink. No bottle drinks for this gal, she needs ice in her soda. I stand in line and kind of tell the girls "Watch how it's done." So I get up there and say , "Non sandwiche, jus Coca Light." He points me directly down the register and I make the money exchange and he gives me my cup. The girls follow. I was doing a little dance and so proud that I spoke French and the guy understood. We sit down and I gloat for the second time today. Once I told them how excited I was, I realized that my French line sounds just like English. Any monolingual English speaker could say "No sandwich, just Coca Light" and a French speaker could understand. Again, we lose it and get headaches from laughter. The soda travelled quickly and we happened, by good fortune, to be sitting next to the restroom. We watched until everyone was out, then went in. I went first. Um, but I didn't take money. Really, who takes money into a restaurant restroom? No one, but this one cost 50 centimes. I put in two 20 cent and one 10 cent coins. No cigar. Try again. Sam came to the rescue with a 50 cent piece. That was odd. Friends slipping you money so that you can go to the bathroom, then you return the favor by not closing the door when you leave, then they go for free. Woohoo, we cheated the system, go us!
Across the street, the famous markets called our names. It's right along the Seine with a great breeze coming through. Melissa pretty much came to Paris to buy paintings. I mean, she likes me and all, but it's the paintings she loves. We stopped at this one vendor and I think she liked us. Or she hated us. Whatever it was, this woman had passion either way. Melissa bought three paintings, then Sam tried for an hour or five to pick hers. I think the lady collapsed after we left. She'd never had to work so hard.

Another full day. Tomorrow the Louvre shall be expecting us at opening. It will be an early wake up call, but I am sure it will be worth it. Expect some photos tomorrow!

3 comments:
I must say the most shocking part about this story was not the fact that you spoke french (so fluently) or that you had to pay 50 centimes to use the potty...but that Paris has a park where no dogs are allowed! I'm stunned! The French worship their dogs...I bet there were some majorly mad chien owners in Paris the day that sign was posted...
Well the joke was that there are dog parks, but no park is ever labeled a No Dog Park. It's one of those things where "you just had to be there" to really get it. Or maybe we just have a poor sense of humor.
Connie - your pictures are breathtaking!! Makes Dallas look like a toilet bowl. :(
Post a Comment