Friday, August 3, 2007

Pique nique a la Tour Eiffel

I finally went to the Eiffel Tower. I was curious as to how long it would actually take me to make it over there. I couldn't do it alone. That would be sad. Hillsong had a big group meeting up at Champs de Mars. It was busy and full of tourists, as this is the peak travel season. I got there but didn't see anyone I knew. I had this huge fear of going up to a group that I assume was Hillsong, then placing my blanket down, then trying to carry on a surface conversation in French with the only 20 words that I know. Meanwhile, I would take my food out, then begin eating and soon realize that my group is actually about 15 meters away. How awkward would that be?!?! So to avoid this fear, I decided to hide behind a tree and call my friend Jasmine to see how far away she was, then we could humiliate ourselves together.
She arrived and the group that I thought was Hillsong, actually was. I must have been paranoid. My intention was to bring my award-winning Ham, cheese, egg, tomato, and lettuce grilled sandwich. It's delicious. However, I began cooking at the family's flat and realized that I left the ham and egg at my flat. Laziness has really taken over and I didn't resist it today. I ended up with a cheese and tomato grill sandwich. I went to the store on the way and got a mini pack of Pringles. I knew that most people bring a whole bag full of stuff, then everyone shares. Well I really don't work this way and I probably won't change. Most of my 27 years have gone something like this with events like this: I would bring Doritos or Cheese Puffs(a personal fave) and some Oreos and Danish Wedding Cookies. I would put them on the blanket and before I could do anything, all the people that brought the Dollar Store stale chips and cookies would snag my food and poor it on their plates and leave me to eat their mediocre goods. Call me selfish, fine, I don't care. It's just like the White Elephant Christmas parties. A couple years ago I went to one. We weren't supposed to spend any money. Well I went through and found a Mary Kay Satin Hands Collection. That's like at least $20 retail. I thought that was a great gift and could potentially be funny if a guy opened it. I got number one, which as we all know is the bum number. I grab a bag and I got a ceramic monkey with a broken ear. Do you REALLY think anyone stole that from me? Nope. Others got candy, one person got a Burberry hat (score!), movie tickets...and I got a broken-eared monkey. All that to say...from now on I bring my own food to Paris picnics.
It was a good time. Not too many showed up since most are on holiday. We had a volleyball out there so we played that. Most of the time was spent talking and watching a group of girls contorting their bodies for pics in front of the Eiffel Tower, um for a good hour and 20 minutes, solid. Here are some pics. It's bizarre to think that I have lunch under the world's most recognized landmark. Really bizarre.

Hacky sack
Gabi, Jaco, a guy wearing orange that I've never met, and Celine

Nice backdrop for a picnic

I left a little early and went to Go Sport, a sporting good store. I wanted to get some rollerblades and a volleyball. I had to take the metro to Madeleine. The sales are still going on so I got a volleyball for 10 euros and three pairs of socks for 4 euros! I've dwindled down to one pair of socks. Don't ask where the other 11 have gone. There is a sock fairy on the loose in Paris. I must admit my extreme disappointment with the sporting goods stores here. The women's section is HORRIBLE. It make sense since there isn't much of a market, but I felt very cheated. Then I left the store and realized that I never looked at their rollerblades. I'm brilliant.

1 comment:

INTRI-KATE said...

la la la...having lunch under the Eiffel Tower. It's straight out of a movie, man. Straight out of a movie. So fun!