Monday, August 27, 2007

Non photo, s'il vous plait!

The day started off low-key. I cleaned up around my 20 square meters studio, listened to some podcasts from Watermark, and read a little bit. Afterwards, I got out to the post office, finally, to get my checking account. I know this sounds strange, but yes, the post office offers simple checking accounts. Just what I need. I went in to the nearest one and looked at their pamphlets. I found one that said "A La Banque Postale" and it talked all about their banking services. I go up to the counter and ask if she speaks English. "A little bit", she said. So I told her I needed to open a checking account. "Not here, you can't do that here at the Post Office." I show her the pamphlet and say, "Then what's this?" She shrugs and shakes her head. I left. Hmmm. You can be refused services anywhere with no explanation. It's just part of the fun of living here. You never know what's going to happen.

Soon after, Celine called to see if I would want to meet up with her and a girl from Australia that was visiting Paris for the first time. It was a gorgeous day, so being outside sounded perfect. I met up with them at Place de la Concorde.

Myms is Australia and attends Hillsong in Sydney. She has been living in London since February and is visiting Paris on her way home. We walked around to some places I haven't been so I took out my camera and started aiming. The first place we came upon was the famous hotel in Paris, Hotel Crillon.

I took one photo then went to take a picture of the entrance. The doorman yelled out "Non! Non photo! Non Non Non!" while waving his arms. WHAT? It's a hotel entrance. I was in shock. We kept walking. Next door was the American Embassy. Home sweet home. The American flag was waving proudly. I wanted to get a picture, because then I could tell you on this blog that I went and then you could see a picture of what it looked like. I wasn't so lucky. I held up my camera, ready to snap, and again received the "Non! Non photo! Non Non Non!" from a policeman outside of the gates. WHAT? It's a building. It's MY embassy. Thoughts of walking up next to the building and the hotel and doing a rapid snap crossed my mind. Now that would be a great blog! Doormen and policemen chasing me around the 8th arrondissement trying to get me to forfeit my pictures. I didn't do that though. We continue on down the street and see all the great stores. Chanel, Valentino, Hermes and then Celine pointed and said "That's where the president lives." We walked down there. On the way I saw another big building with an American flag. I figured I could at least get one pic of my flag since I wasn't so lucky at the embassy. I aimed and snapped. Success. However, immediately following I hear it once again, "Non! Non photo s'il vous plait! Non!" What gives? I kept that picture thought. Directly from me to you, here is my illegal photo.

We continued on our tour. We went to La Madeleine. I will never get over how amazing this place is. We actually went inside. There was a sign outside that said "Remember this is a church. You must be dressed appropriately." I looked at my black tights, athletic shoes, and black tee." I gave Celine a look. She said, "Well you aren't in a bathing suit." Good point. We went in. I didn't even think about taking pictures. If I can't take a picture of the outside of a building, I surely can't take one on the inside of a religious cathedral. Not the case, they allowed it. When I took my first one outside, Myms came up to me and said "Non! Non! Non!" and I honestly thought it was a guard. I was close to screaming.


This look from the steps of La Madeleine down Rue Royale. You can see Place de la Concorde all the way to the Assemblee Nationale.

We walked down Boulevard de la Madeleine and saw the Olympia Music Hall. It is the best in Paris. If you make it there, then it means you are Big Time. It was opened by the same founder of Le Moulin Rouge. If you look, you can see some American bands that will be playing there soon.

Celine's friend, David, called to see if he could meet up with us. He would meet us at Opera. More walking, yay! We had some time to spare so we took our time. We walked to Opera and looked inside, then sat outside and chatted for a bit. After realizing we still had more time, we headed down Rue de la Paix to Place Vendome to check out the sites.



Celine and Myms

Napoleon's statue in Place Vendome

A jewelry store that must have been named after my hometown

We made it back to Opera and met up with David. Another friend of ours, Rebecca, called to say that she was in the Jewish district with two guys that she had met in Israel. They live in London and were visiting for the week, so she was doing the same as us - just giving the Paris tour. We took the metro to meet up with them. It was around dinner time, so once we met up, we found an Israeli falafel restaurant. Celine and I are fasting so we got the citronnade, which is lemonade. It wasn't too shabby, but falafel has never looked so good to me. Agony. Conversation was good. I looked around the table and it is probably the most diverse group I have ever had a meal with. Let's go around the table - Mario from Colombia in med school in London, Patrick from a small town in southern England, David from Martinique that is a surf fanatic, Rebecca from Romania, Celine from Paris, Myms from Australia, and then ole American me. How's that for a melting pot?

After dinner, most of us needed to go our own ways. I had laundry to start and some reading to do, so we figured we would all go to Chatelet to split. Well then Ben called Celine. He had just finished work and wanted to meet up for coffee or wine. We changed our plans, met up with him, and found a cafe on the Seine. So there I was, with Myms, David, Ben, and Celine, just soaking up Paris at dusk. The view from my seat was amazing.

Celine got a coffee. I looked at it and laughed because back in the states we would complain that it's so tiny. That would hardly satisfy. No venti sizes at these little cafes.


Three French (Ben's really Swiss-German, but more French than me) trying to read a Paris map. Classic.


Once we parted ways, Celine and I crossed the Seine. It's my favorite part of the day. The breeze was perfect and the sounds and smells of Paris are so original to the city. The sirens, the conversation, the clingy of silverware from cafes, the bread, cheese, tarts, and coffee.



I had a long walk home. I didn't have my NaviGo charged, so no metro for me. I did not complain. It's my favorite walk and it was the perfect night. I would need to get some change before I could charge my card at Invalide since that's the only place I know that accepts cash rather than a bank card. I am not sure if I've mention it, but many places don't accept my debit or credit card because it doesn't have the "smart card" micro chip on it. I really need to get a checking account. I'll do that tomorrow.

Saint-Michel

Saint Andre des Arts which is a great cafe and market street that leads to the famous markets of Rue de Buci.

I was able to stop at the Monoprix off of Saint-Germain to get change for my 50 euro note by purchasing some trail mix. I kept on walking down Saint-Germain. This street is so French. Great cafes, older women dressed to the nines with little coiffed doggies on leashes, and perfectly trimmed trees that line the street.

At the Solverino metro

A little bit further and I made it to the Invalides metro station to charge the NaviGo. I was close to home and had another on-my-gosh-I-live-in-Paris moment. I still don't think I will ever get accustomed to this view from my street. It's so surreal.

That's what a day in Paris is really like.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

amazing photos, friend. you must be having so much fun and seem happy which makees me happy.

INTRI-KATE said...

swoooon! I love your day! And I love Fall Out Boy and what I wouldn't give for a cup of French cafe. (au lait pour moi) I love your blogs a million, dude.