Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Getting together for a movie and "snacks"

Alright...so I am a new girl in an old city. There are millions of people that I have never met and each person has a story. How cool is that? The diversity in this city just boggles my mind. Anais is my French friend and has lived in Paris her whole life. She did move to the US for six months as an exchange student to help her English. You may ask, "Where in the States did she go?" She went to Ohio. In all of the vast country, she moved to a farm in Ohio. See what I mean about each person has a story? My point is that Anais and I had plans to hang out. We've talked about getting together for two months now, so I was excited to get some time to get to know this girl that is a huge reminder of myself. Jasmin called earlier in the day and said she wanted to hang out also.
Well so the three of us figured we would meet up at my place around 4:30 and watch a movie and eat snacks. Alright, let's take a look at the definition of SNACK.

Merriam-Webster Definition
: a light meal : food eaten between regular meals; also : food suitable for snacking.

We went to Proxi, the little pint-sized grocery store that gets smaller each time I enter. I have an idea of what I want, but Anais and Jasmin raid the store. I mean just grabbing things right and left. I am trying to be a good little American living in France. When in Rome, right? This dialogue goes on in my head: "Things in moderation. Put old habits to rest, Connie. You CAN'T eat a box of cereal in one sitting. Remember, you were a health major for goodness sake!" You know I've done well and honestly I have no desire to go back. However, I had some very vivid flashbacks in Proxi. Now that I have given you the Merriam-Webster definition of snacks, I will give you my definition, as well as Anais' and Jasmin's - through pictures.

Definition of "snack" per Connie(Two bottles of Evian, one bottle of Coca Light, one bottle of milk, a package of bacon flavored crackers)

Definition of "snack" per Anais and Jasmin(One 1.5L bottle of Coca Light, a can of Coca Light, an apple - this is the outliar of the group, a bag of frozen fries, four bags of chips, a package of rootbeer sour candies, a box of chocolate malt balls, a can of whipped cream, chocolate graham cookies, popcorn, a baguette, and guacamole.)

I know that all of you are all wondering if this food was consumed in it's entirety. The answer is yes, absolutely, bien sur! Popcorn was popped, french fries were baked, chips were inhaled, coke was poured...all of it GONE. At the end of the night there were two aching bellies and one giggling Texan.

During our night, the storm outside continued. It's easy to have nights indoors when it is so ugly outside. Rain poured down on the city for twelve hours straight. The Ark came through Paris, that's for sure. Jasmin called for me and asked if this crack in the wall was always there. It was new. There has been so much rain, cracks are starting to appear in the walls.
After all of the talking, we looked at our phones and noticed it was 12:40am. Jasmin couldn't make it back home before the metro stopped running. She had to stay the night. Anais ended up riding a bike home. Brave girl, but she had no choice. She had to be at work in the morning. What a fun night. A plan for a detox was discussed. I will make sure to take pictures of that too.

1 comment:

INTRI-KATE said...

well, jeepers. what's a french movie watching/snack party without a baguette? can you imagine that in the states? "hey, sally! I have been craving a large piece of hard bread for WEEKS! Bring some to the party, okay?!"