I should have blogged about my premonition a couple of weeks ago. Before the family left I asked Isabelle who was in charge of taking care of Biscuit, the guinea pig. I really don't like rodents. Most would laugh at that comment considering that my beloved canine back home is a chihuahua. My point is that I had this horrible fear that this pig would die while the family was in Greece. Isabelle reassured me that Alain, the guardian, would be responsible for taking care of him. Relief, okay, not me. I have been over to the family flat extensively and always say "Hey Biscuit, I mean, Bonjour Biscuit" because I forget that French animals don't know English.
Days go by and this feeling is getting stronger and stronger. I almost went to Proxi to get a carrot for him, but then I had this fear that maybe if I did that, then I would OVERfeed him and he would die. So I leave him alone. Well today it happened. I was coming in from a long run and Alain says "Bonjour Connie..." and I say it back and continue walking. Then he said "Ah ah ah..." I looked back at him and he looked nervous. Our conversation went something like this:
He does hand motions with one palm up and uses the fingers on the other hand to resemble something scurrying. I said, "Biscuit?" He said "Ah oui oui." Then he got a little silent and did the scurrying thing, then followed it by putting his arms up in an "x" and said "Biscuit...mort!" and he kept doing the "x" thing with his arms...each time stabbing like a knife because I KNEW it would happen and I didn't say anything. I GASPED and said "Ohhhhh d'accord, oui ohhhh c'est triste"...followed by a few more gasps. I got on the elevator and hoped that I misunderstood his hand motions. I walked down the hall and looked at where Biscuit's cage is and it was GONE...not just cleaned out, just gone.
Oh dear. the pig is dead and I feel like I had some sort of responsibility. I wish I could post a picture on this blog but that would be pretty morbid, forgive me.
Biscuit de la famille Schlumberger
d. 10 August 2007
R.I.P.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Ah, pauvre Bisquit! Should you send a telegram to the family informing them of this tragedy? What a terrible fate for a giddy pig. :(
Post a Comment