Monday, May 26, 2008
French Class Humor
In French class recently, we were talking about hobbies. My partner was Hector, a gentleman from Mexico. I thought we were having a decent conversation in French. He asked if I liked sports and then he asked which ones. I told him and continued on to ask my questions. When our conversations were over, our teacher told us to share with the class what our partner enjoys to do in their spare time. Hector mentioned "Elle aime jouer volleyball, and...", but since he has a Spanish native tongue, it came out as "Elle aime jouer bolleyball." Well immediately Nilza, from New Dehli, India, interrupted and looked at me and said "Ohhhhhh really?" I wasn't sure of her enthusiasm exactly. For close to five minutes she proceeded to share with the class about Bollywood, the informal term popularly used for the Mumbai-based Hindi-language film industry in India. You can only imagine my confusion and I felt I had to set the record straight so that the class didn't really think that this was my passion. I didn't have the chance though, and my struggling French wouldn't allow me to spit it all out.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment