Jenny, my American friend from Louisiana, met up with me at my place to have a picnic at the Eiffel Tower. We went to Proxi and got a few things, made the sandwiches, packed the bag and blanket, and then went on our way. It's a rather short walk and we couldn't bare to take the metro on such a beautiful day.
We had great conversation and found ourselves a block away when we saw this pug on a leash. This thing saw me and went into a rage that scared me into a tap dance. His little legs were sideways and I feared that his passion would throw those little legs out from underneath him. I have never seen such anger in a small dog. I don't know what he didn't like about me, but it was pure rage.
So we find our seats and lay out the blanket.
As soon as we pull the food out, we get our first gypsy that comes over to us to ask "Speak English?" Let me share that the first time this happened about two months. I obliged and said "Yes, where are you from?" She said she was from Bosnia. My friends said "She's lying and doesn't even spend the money or eat the food...it's all a scam and she's not from Bosnia." They were not sympathetic at all and I said a prayer for them after seeing their harshness. However, if you have spent any time in Paris, you would know that on an average day, one of these gypsies would approach you on average of ten times a day...."Speak English?" I had begun saying "No, I am so sorry, I sure don't." Sidenote: I am still not sure what my role as a Christian should be towards these gypsies.
There we were on the blanket. Jenny and I couldn't get through a conversation without one of them coming up to us and asking "Speak English?" We would say no and they would motion with their hands and say "Mange?" as if they wanted some of our food. I was confused as to why they wanted to know if we spoke English, if they spoke French. I don't get it.
My new strategy to get them to go away was to just take their picture each time they approached me. It was so interesting. Gypsies, like regular people and even celebrities, will either run away from the camera or pose. I have a collection of pictures that I took of these women. Let me remind you that they can be MEAN.
This poor guy must not have known. He gave this woman money from his wallet, and like vulchers, three more came up to him and started begging. He seemed completely puzzled and duped by the whole thing.
This one posed for me
Then she called over her friend
She didn't like that I tried to take her picture
She didn't either
They must have had a lunch break, because for an hour, they were gone. They, as a collective group, they came back with avengance. I think this was their team huddle. They had to get their game plan before another four hour stint of "Speak English?"
She let out a loud shrill when I took this picture
He was selling Eiffel Tower keychains, but a male gypsy for sure.
While people-watching, Jenny and I saw a cute little boy with no undies on and wearing a cowboy hat. He ran around everywhere. There was no stopping him. A woman even changed her top while "hiding" behind a tree. However, we were on the wrong side of that tree. I have a picture of it, but I am using good judgment by not posting it. There was also a Scot wearing a kilt lying on the grass in the fetus position for the entirety of our picnic. Actually, there were Scots everywhere. They are in town for the Rugby world cup.
The most odd moment that I have seen in Paris involved one of the gypsies. It deserves it's own paragraph.
I was talking with Jenny and noticed a gypsy talking with a few teenagers. She left quickly and one of the guys followed her. He yelled something in French. She had stolen his cigarettes and he was telling her to give them back. Her response? She lifted up her shirt and flashed him. I am not sure what else can top such an odd moment like that.
I can now say that I have seen a gypsy flash a French teenager after she stole his cigs.

2 comments:
bahahahah! that's hysterical! I think you found the perfect solution, though. Take their picture. Ain't nothin wrong with lovin like Jesus behind the lens of a camera...
Your gypsy story inspired me and Tim to watch 'Chocolat'. I've never seen it before! Loved it. If all gypsies looked like Johnny Depp, I wouldn't see the problem in them bothering me!!!
Post a Comment