Sunday, September 9, 2007

The Faces of the French

My friend Jeremy told me that I need to "get in" more of my pictures. You see, this isn't easy. My camera is rather large compared to the tiny, credit card-sized cameras you see these days. I am usually alone on my walks, which I absolutely love. My iPod hums in my ear and I walk most days wherever the breeze leads me. It's one of my favorite things to do. I haven't yet figured out how to say "Hello, can you take a picture of me? Hold down the button half-way for it to focus, then push down all the way. Be careful not to get scared with the flash pops up" in French. Until that day, I will have to do the extended-arm-reach picture of myself.

Now you can see the result of boredom, frustration, and a spontaneous thought. My hair was bothering and my scissors were within reach. They are now hidden in a drawer to avoid this from happening again. Most of the day's stress caused by thousands of hairs frolicking in my lashes and tickling my forehead. Oh yeah, I didn't cut the back of my hair, just fringe (aka bangs).


These next pictures are dedicated to the people of France. These are facial expressions that I see on a daily basis. I am not sure if the French are incredibly animated or that I am much more observant of them since I don't actually understand what they are saying. Above each picture, you will read a description of each and when you might see that face. With each face usually comes a shrug. I've noticed that no proper French serviceman can give their expression of rejection without the shrug. They are not mutually exclusive.

I only ask this after many attempts at speaking French.
"Parlez-vous anglais?" Do you speak English?
Their face resembles something of a lack of interest.

I recently went to H&M to exchange a dress. Now, this dress was still in stock in the stores and the size I needed was on the rack. I, however, did not have my reciept. When asked, I told them that I had lost the receipt. The manager looked at me, almost infuriated and said "Non! Impossible!" (In a VERY French accent).

At the beginning of my time in Paris, I had to run all over the city to find the correct building to get my carte de sejour. After four days of adventure (this is my pessimistic view of it), I finally found the correct building. I waited in line for an hour, only to find out that I needed an original copy of an electric bill, not a copy. I was told to come back the next day and wait in line again. Fair enough. The next day I waited for another hour, only to get up to the worker to hear her say, "I'm sorry, not today." Her face seemed so completely unsympathetic for all that I had gone through.

My response was loud with a Texan accent, "Are you freaking kidding me?"
The response to my outburst. A look of pity.

After hearing that cheddar is the only cheese that I like to eat.

How you are greeted by the French. You get this on each cheek. I am actually very used to this now. I have almost forgotten what it's like to embrace with a hug when meeting up with a friend. And yes, men do this with each other as well.

The look when you get a little too close to someone in the metro. It's hardly avoidable when line 1 is packed on the weekend.


I hope you enjoyed the Faces of the French. Jeremy, next time be careful what you ask for :)

4 comments:

The Barnyards said...

This is one of the best Blogs yet!! You are so funny! Love the bangs too!

INTRI-KATE said...

that last one is the most typical french 'visage' I've seen! You are hilarious. Brilliant post, friend.

Anonymous said...

You...my love, crack me up.
I love you and miss you terribly!

Kayla said...

That anonymous person up ahead is me...