Monday, February 4, 2008

Sushi with blank check

This blog is a little out of order, but hey, it's here. I just found all the pictures that I took on my phone at the Japanese restaurant that we went to last Friday night. Before the parents left town, they gave me a blank check for dinner. I've been wanting to eat at this place for 7 months now because I really like Japanese food, but rarely get to eat it. However, the family eats there quite regularly.

We went around 8:15pm and it was empty, completely empty. We sat in a booth near the door. I didn't stand in the booth to take this picture. I am just very talented at an outstretched arm photo. So good, in fact, that I managed to cut my own head out of the picture. Before we even started looking at the menu, I told the kids "I've never looked at this menu, I don't know what I want, and it's not in English. Do NOT order until I tell you." After looking, I asked Balthazar, "Are you ordering hors d'oeuvres for all of us?" He said that he was. Good. No need for me to worry about that for myself. I settled on the sushi menu. There were a million kinds. Right when I began my search, the children began ordering. Yet again, it was a replay of the Chinese restaurant incident where I feel like fool while all the kids are saying "Come on, hurry...." I wanted to rip the check in their faces, but I resisted and just let Balthazar order for me.
I never know what he is going to do next.
Really immature humor while he was doing his Clark Kent impression.Zac was antsy and kept going under the table and I couldn't get him to come up. It was so quiet in there and one other couple had shown up. I had to be quiet. If I thumped his ear, he would scream. All I could do was grabbed his leg tight and cover his mouth and whisper a few threats. Well he sat there, but incessantly did origami tricks with his massive collection of metro tickets. By the way, it's one of my biggest pet peeves. His daily activities revolve around the amount of metro tickets he has. Needless to say, I confiscated the tickets and things were better.

The waiter brought the hors d'oeuvres and what do you know...none for me. Did the kids want to share? No. Did I want to scream? Yes. I told Balthazar that I asked if he ordered them and he told me he did and for all of us. To make a long story short, he didn't understand my pronunciation of "hors d'oeuvres" because I said it like an American. It sounded like "order". I saw Verena's and liked it so I ordered it anyway. I happily took a bite and hated it.We had a good time, we really did. I handed the check to the oldest of the clan. He did the honors. By honors I mean that he wrote 94 euros for the total. That's about $138! We didn't even order drinks, just water!

Afterwards, we went home, baked cookies and watch Ratatouille. Good night had by all!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

great!! Haha. Good story sorry for laughing but am laughing in the spirit of things.