With our best intentions of waking up early down the drain, we just relaxed before getting out. I think that was a good idea or else we wouldn't make it through the whole day. Jennifer was able to get on the French time pretty effortlessly. We woke up around 10, and were out the door by 11h30 or so. We didn't have breakfast because we kind of missed it, and opted to wait it out till lunch time. I had a lot of plans for today, but our tummies were demanding food, so we walked down Saint Germain des Pres to Saint Michel. It is a really touristy area that offers all kinds of food and shops. It's really close to Notre Dame and other big Parisian landmarks.
Once we got there, Jennifer passed on a panini and decided on a Greek gyro that was loaded with tzatziki, meat, and fries. After, we walked across the way to one of my favorite places to eat, Maoz for my vegetarian falafel with fries and a Coca Light. We sat and ate there. We knew we had a big day on our schedule so we took a little more time than normal. I was able to get through her trip speaking French without switching to English. Slowly but surely.

We walked down the street onto the river. I had to take her to the Shakespeare and Company Bookstore. It is famous for being a hangout of all the great writers of the past - Hemingway and Henry Miller amongst others. It is one of the most charming places I've been in to in Paris. There are books EVERYWHERE. There is even a wishing well in the middle of one of the "rooms". You can miss tiny details if you don't look carefully. Steps are painted with quotes, pictures of famous writers in the store are hung from various walls. We walked upstairs and noticed bags of groceries sitting outside on the roof. It seemed obvious that someone actually lives there. A bed is in one of the rooms kept company by walls covered in old books. OLD books. A sink, a little nook with a lamp and a typewriter, and other places that tell you that this little place has changed minimally since its day of inception. I tried to take pictures to capture the feel, but I feel that I did it an injustice.











Once we left empty-handed, we retraced our steps a bit to go to a scarf market store. This place has more scarves than the whole of Paris. Not really, but it's a haven. It makes me want to crawl into the racks of scarves and sleep. All the organized colors and variety give me a joy that no other store can. If you can't tell, scarves are a new obsession for me. It's impossible to live here without that happening. We picked three scarves; two for me, one for her. By doing this we saved money. One for 15 euros, two for 25, or three for 33. I think we were both happy with out purchases. I am sure you will see mine in pictures in the future.

A few blocks more and we were near Notre Dame again. Jennifer wanted a painting so we walked up and down the Seine to check out all they had to offer. It's addicting. You can find YOUR painting, the one that speaks to you. It's amazing. I am still on the quest to find the Rooster painting that Sammies bought back in the summer. I would have never guessed I would want something like that, but it would look perfect in my future kitchen, whenever that may be. Each time I look at paintings, I find one I want. I never buy one but always wait for the time to go crazy and buy six; big, small, watercolor, oil, charcoal. I've got a million pictures of the monument, but Notre Dame is never
not pretty. It's fascinating.

I've seen a movie filmed on this bridge. It seems as though there is always something happening. Today it was a swell rollerblader. I've noticed that this sport is becoming really popular lately. I don't know how it came to be, but you need to talent to do it, that's for sure.

As seen below, there was a strange man with an obvious affinity for birds. He held bread out for the birds, but just as they would near the bread, he would move it. Just teasing them. Then he would take a bite to see if they would come to his mouth. They never caught on. They would try to get it from his hand, then fly back to the fence. Over and over again. I didn't want him to know that I was only taking pictures of him, so for a while I had to take pictures of Notre Dame. They are all deleted now. All of that trouble to bring you this photo.

It was a beautiful weekend! We couldn't have asked for better weather. Just look at the color of the sky! I cannot be swayed by anyone who tries to convince me that the sky is this color anywhere else. Paris has the most beautiful skies!

We waited in line for a bit to make our way in. After eight months, I've never gone inside. I plan to go again. It's absolutely breathtaking. I wasn't sure if photos were allowed, but I did it anyway. There was a service going on during our visit, which I loved. Can you imagine calling Notre Dame as your church-home?





A miniature model of the church out of wood.

A likeness of how it was built. I found myself in awe of the hearts of the people that built it. They did it to honor God and that is what motivated and inspired them. The beauty of it was in direct correlation to the beauty of Him. Some risked their lives for it. The building has their blood and sweat all over it. It was not an easy task to build something so massive and detailed and majestic back then. It's a wonder and a masterpiece.

This is one of the chandeliers that hangs from the ceiling. It was down for repair and polishing. The detail is incredible.



A prayer nook



We left and took a right toward the Right Bank. Just a few blocks away and we would be at Hotel de Ville, the city hall of Paris. On our way we saw an English-speaking blues singer. He was hilarious. During his singing, everyone was taking pictures and he would sing "Oooh the paparazzi are here...this will...end up...on Myspace somewhere...." It was very smooth!

The ice-skating rink in front of Hotel de Ville.

After walking a lot, we walked some more. On our way, we found another Parisian troubadour. He was playing the mandolin which is a sound that I absolutely love. He didn't sing, he just played.

We ended up at Place des Vosges. This is one of my favorite places to come. I can't pinpoint why. While we were there, we grabbed our free tickets to visit Victor Hugo's home. I didn't take any photos this time since I've done it before. It's a beautiful apartment. I feel inspired to walk through the halls and think about his thoughts while living, just hoping that his creativity and brilliance will in some way seep into me.

It was starting to get dark. A little ways down on Rue de Rivoli is Chatelet. It's a pretty popular area with the youth of Paris. I like it for the mall and cinema. There is a range of richy, posh and slummy trash. I guess it's the combination that makes it a little desirable and "real". The city on this day was so impossibly busy. I felt like I was walking around Time Square in NYC all weekend long. We walked through Les Halles and onto see Saint Eustache. Once again, busy. It's a fun place though. Lots of couples, just smooching in the moonlight which happened to be pretty bright on the cool night.





Once we had our fill, we caught bus 69 back to my flat. It drops off right in front of my building. Yes, I count myself very fortunate. We went upstairs for dinner, which was my Teriyaki chicken and fried rice. It was okay, but I wish I had the fully-stocked kitchen at the family's house but the meal was enough to satisfy. Once full, we put our shoes back on for our nightly walk. Tonight - the Eiffel Tower.
I haven't gotten a really decent photo of Les Invalides and this might be the best thus far. One day I will get it in daylight, I promise. Napoleon is buried right under that dome in a sarcophagus at the back of the building.

About half a mile from my flat. This is the walk I take friends on because the Tower seems to allude you until you get to this street and then BAM, there it is!


The night was perfect. It wasn't too cold at all. So far it's been a great visit with my dear friend. Tomorrow will be busy as well. My feet hurt now and I plan to have a deep sleep. See you tomorrow.
1 comment:
Notre Dome was breathtaking...why don't we build churches like that anymore :(
Post a Comment