Wednesday, January 9, 2008

My latest entertainment...

I don't normally blog about things other than my recent activities, but winter is upon us and I am spending more time indoors. If you read my blog about the tragedy of my beloved iPod, it's another reason I am not out and about as much.

Given that I love to get music and movies for Christmas, I have some good newbies to report on. I asked for Waitress and The Nanny Diaries. One was really good and one was mediocre. My girlfriends know that I have had an unhealthy liking to Keri Russell since her Felicity days. I am not biased because of this, but I think Waitress is one of my new top movies. If you haven't seen it, see it!On the other hand, I was a little disappointed with The Nanny Diaries. The book was not any sort of masterpiece, but it kept my interest and provided quite a bit of laughter given I am living that life right now. The way the story was told was a bit odd. There are some amazing actors in the film (Laura Linney, Paul Giamatti, Scarlett Johansson) so that helped. I think my expectation was a little too high. You win some, you lose some.Another of my new favorites is a French film that I actually watched in Dallas before I moved here. It was called Avenue Montaigne and took place in Paris. However, I found out that it was given a different name for it's American release. In France it's called Fauteuils d'orchestre. It's in French, but has English subtitles. You might not be into that, but if you are, this is a pretty fantastic film. Yesterday I watched Once, the independent film that was a smash at the Sundance Film Festival. It hasn't come to France and it probably won't, so I watched it on a website (illegal maybe) and was fixated. The music was stirring. When it was over, I immediately got on the internet to see who these musicians were and if they were signed with a label. This leads me to the next topic.
Music on the other hand. My life has a soundtrack and I am continuing to add to it. The latest Shane & Shane album, Pages, is probably my favorite of their's and in my opinion, the most annointed album as of yet. It's flawless.Justin Barnard finally put out his second album, Fightsongs. A year and a half ago I was at the studio during the recordings and couldn't wait to get it on my iPod. It's been long awaited, but worth the wait.Back to the film, Once. I found out that the main character is an Irish guy named Glen Hansard. He happens to be the lead singer for the band The Frames. I purchased the album The Cost. Yes, it's good as well. Get it.Another singer I had heard about, but never really checked into is Foy Vance (thanks BOA for sure). I finally purchased his album and am kicking myself that I didn't do it sooner. It will probably be ranked in my favorites pretty soon.If you want a good running album, check out MIKA. This guys is a slight bit odd, but he is reminiscent of Freddie Mercury of Queen. It's fun and upbeat. Perfect karaoke music!Last but not least is Feist. I never thought I would be into this kind of music, but her album is genius to me. I can't describe it, but it makes me want to sing out loud wherever I am.
I've also had another idea. I was thinking about adding a cooking portion to this blog that would include recipes, etc. However, I want your feedback. If there isn't a need or want I will just keep it all to myself.

Happy listening and Merry watching.

2 comments:

HereBeDragons said...

Thanks for the recommendations! Several that you've mentioned I know I like, so I suspect I will like the rest of them as well.

Lydia said...

We just watched Waitress this weekend, thanks to Netflix, and it was so good! Keri Russell was very good.