Thursday, June 21, 2007

Not your ordinary walk to the Park

Today had a normal beginning. I had Zacharie up and going. Oh yeah, that reminds me. I have changed the kid’s names back to their originals. It’s getting too hard remembering their pseudo names to protect the identities. Back on track. This was my first day to take Zac to school on my own. It went off without a hitch. We held hands and sang all the way there. This six year old knows his way around the metro like a pro. It’s Wednesday so he only goes to school until noon. We got there and a classmate gasped and said in French “Zacharie! You weren’t supposed to bring your satchel today!” He burst in tears. I told him it’s no big deal, because I would take it home with me. He kept on. It took a couple of minutes, but he was fine ☺

I took the long way home. I walked by Ecole Militaire on my way to Rue Cler. There is a big professional sand beach volleyball tournament going on this weekend across the street. Pretty cool, I think. I wouldn’t mind if I were able to score some tickets. I continued on my walk, which happens to be one of the most scenic. You see the Tour Eiffel, Ecole Militaire, and all sorts of markets. I stopped on Saint Dominic to visit the cheap grocery store Ed. I bought some Cheese Crackers, Cashews, a chocolate almond bar, and a pasta and crab salad. All for under 5 euros! Cheap! I know it’s a random combination, but I am still getting used to French food. I trekked the rest of the way and passed Invalides. It’s so grand. I will take pictures of it soon.

I spent a few hours walking to the “park”. Not really, it’s the Jardin du Luxembourg. It’s basically the nicest walk in Paris. At least I like to think so. Here are the pictures. You decide:

This is a church just a few meters from my building.And two of the nine gazillion pretty buildings.
This lady was stone faced...oh hahhahah
And here are the pictures from inside the Jardin du Luxembourg.
I was dreaming about this tree next to an oversized jar of Peter Pan Peanut Butter
Palais du Luxembourg. It's quite majestic. It didn't hit me how beautiful it was until I saw the pictures. For some reason the reality didn't sink in until I thought, "Hey, I was there today and I live down the street from it." Very strange. In the same amount of time it takes me to get there, back home the greatest thing I could walk to at that distance would be the Quik Trip or Taco Bell/Pizza Hut.Check out the person doing Tai Chi :)
Five euros to the first person that can tell me what these cut-outs are all about. I am about as confused as the little girl.
France has large moths or something.
This is on my walk back home.Walking down my street towards my building.And finally, I arrive home. This is my building. My future home, my own flat is on the very very top - fourth window.
On the inside of the Big Blue Door. The family's flat is at the very top and curves around on both sides.
I went upstairs and had to take a picture of this view. It's from the living room/dining area. It's the dome of Invalides
I get back, only to leave again. Verena, my ten year old stylist took me to H&M and Zara. They are the staple shopping stores for the women of Paris. It’s a happy place indeed. We had a great time. I mean what better way for two gals to bond. It was also great to have her around to be my translator.

That wasn’t the best part of my day. The best part was the sight of Monoprix. I could not contain my excitement when I saw it. Here is the reason: In Paris it is hard to find a place that sells a bulk of items, as well as a large variety of things. It is Super Target on a very small scale, but I spent 30 euros. I got American deoderant! It works. The French stuff doesn’t. I had to spent 5 euros to get it, but I don’t care. There is no price too high for good deoderant.

It was a rather relaxing day.

5 comments:

Lydia said...

Have you cooked dinner for them, yet? How has it gone?

Katie Gober said...

I love the pictures!!! It's so breathtaking!! I have to confess my jealousy...everything is so beautiful and majestic!! I'm so happy for you - keep them coming!!

Kayla said...

Wowie! Pictures are beautiful! However, i would like to see your face in one soon. I love you!!

chandra said...

o.k., i just figured out how to leave a comment...geeze!
Connie...i love the pictures...and your stories! keep 'em coming.
be safe...play hard...love much.
much joy,
chandra

Emily G said...

LOVE the gorgeous pics!! Keep em coming!!

XOXO - Em