Wednesday, June 27, 2007

The BEAST aka The French Administration: My attempt to obtain a carte de sejour

3rd attempt: no good.

Monday: All day was spent trying to find the appropriate building to get my carte de sejour. I went to two buildings twice. A strenuous and tiring game I do not want to play again. I find out the building is across the street from Zacharie's school. Brilliant.

Tuesday: I go to the building and wait in line for an hour to find out that I don't have an original electric bill or pre-inscription into France Langue. I call the school and beg for them to print up another paper, to no avail. I have the Irish nanny do it and she succeeded with ease after much lying.

Wednesday: After dropping Zac off to school I go to Cafe Columbus for a coffee while I fill out the French forms and try to decode the language to the best of my abilities. No luck again. I stop at a bookstore and buy a francais/anglais dictionary. A park bench was my haven for 30 minutes while I filled out the forms. I get to the building and wait in line AGAIN. This time, "I am sorry, but we cannot help you today. The person that is in charge of the first time applicants for the carte de sejour is out. You will need to come back tomorrow." I actually said in a Texan accent "Are you freaking kidding me?" She wasn't, so I will see her again tomorrow. That's that.

I am very close to throwing in the towel. However, Greece is waiting for me, so I guess I'll stick it out :)

4 comments:

Emily G said...

What is a carte de sejour??

Enlighten us ignorant Americans. :)

connie said...

It's a residence card :)

Katie Gober said...

I was about to ditto Em's question, so thanks...so that SUCKS...I'm frustrated with you! So sorry!

Kayla said...

It's okay friend!! You'll get it, don't give up!!!