Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Barcelona, Spain - Part II

"Aahhhhhhhh! .....*incomprehensible French*...." is what woke me up about four times in the night. This usually was followed by my own giggles because my dear friend Adeline was talking, screaming, and sighing in her sleep. I didn't exactly wake up early. Adeline and Candice woke up before me and proceeded to get ready for the day and cook breakfast. After being in a near comatose state, I woke up to the smell of crepes. Adeline was in the kitchen and Candice was setting up the table on the terrace. It all looked so beautiful. We could tell it was going to be a beautiful day in Barcelona. We sat and ate, then enjoyed the weather and conversation while sipping on some tea. We had a long day planned and wanted to take in a lazy morning.Once we finally got ready to go and out, we took the metro and bus up to Gaudi's Parc Guell. We had to walk up to steep hills to make it up there. I didn't know what to expect, but it was more than what I could have imagined. It seems like something straight out of a fantasty children's story. Walking around was an experience. Musicians were out playing, vendors were selling jewelry, fans, clothing and every language could be heard within earshot.

We went to the very top, which overlooked a house that Gaudi actually lived in during a stage of his life. A restaurant was located at the top, which had an enormous open space, which lead up to a seating area decorated with mosaic tile and overlooked more of Gaudi's buildings. We sat here for over an hour and took fun pictures and giggling about how French people love to "people watch" and make fun of them. We walked downstairs to another wonderland that was inspired by a dragon. The colors are even more vivid when you are there than they come across in the photos. There were two buildings that were similar to each other. We only entered into the one that housed the gift shop. The ceiling was even sculpted. It looked somewhat like waves, white waves. By this time we were hunched over from hunger. We walked down the hill, weaving in and out of streets, looking for a fun little place to eat. On our way, I took a photo that I forgot to focus. It was fortunate.It was Sunday so most places were closed, but we finally found this fantastic Lebanese restaurant. I've never had all of this food, just hummus and falafel, but it was good, let me tell you. I let my dear friends pick the meal and I just tried it all. It was so fresh and light, but filling.
We walked some more and took the metro a couple stops and found ourselves by a museum. I can't remember which one it is, but I liked it. There was a very posh restaurant at the bottom that fed some very posh people.
More of downtown Barcelona
We walked towards one of the most famous cathedrals in Barcelona. There are a few and we happened to see two of them. It sounds horrible, but once you've seen one, you've seen them all. I've been to Madeleine, Sacre Coeur, Notre Dame, and now these two. They are so incredibly beautiful, but there is so much to see that it's quite possible to get overwhelmed and not take in all that is in front of you.We walked out of the cathedral and heard the paino coming from somewhere faint. We walked through a narrow passageway and followed the music. We came to an opening between a few buildings and saw a man playing Bach, Mozart, Beethoven and Handel. We found seats by an adjacent building and sat for a while to listen. People started gathering until there was a large crowd. I remember there being a little boy, about two years old, just smiling as big as he could. He stood in the center of the courtyard and made eyes at the musician. When he finished his piece, everyone clapped. The little boy kept turning around and smiling, just knowing that everyone was clapping for him. After that, the man played Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star for him.The view from where I was sittingAnother view. I love my boots.
Once we were finished listening, we walked through the city to find something to eat. The girls wanted Churros and Hot Chocolate at one of the famous places in Barcelona. On our way, I kept seeing people eat ice cream and I began to crave it. I rarely crave that, but for some reason, it was in overdrive. We found an ice cream shop and I made my way through to order some mint flavored in a cone. It was absolutely delicious and I was very satisfied. We continued on our way and soon reached the Churro restaurant. Apologies, but I did not take photos of it. It was so crowded and busy that it took everything out of me just to focus on conversation and pouring the water I ordered.

We were completely exhausted and went back home. We couldn't think to do anything else. A few streets called our names to walk down, which were all gorgeous. There was even a courtyard at the end of a long street that was the location of thousands of killing. You can still see the evidence on the walls.
We made it back home and spent just a tiny bit of time to get into bed. We put on Just Like Heaven. While Adeline watched that, I read my book. I warned her beforehand that the movie was "just okay", but I can never bear to tell a person it was horrible because it may end up being their favorite movie. I could overhear her saying "Whatever!" and "That is NOT how someone comes out of a coma!" and finally "That was THE dumbest movie I've seen!" And before we knew it, we were asleep.

The next morning came too soon. We left the house at 8am to walk with Candice to her work, a museum of Pre-Columbian Art. We had a quick run through, but mainly just put our bags in her office and left her to work, while we found breakfast and walked around in our last hours in the city. We found some great places and got lost on the winding streets. Starbucks was like a beacon in the morning and called us to it's most heavenly realm. We were the first customers. I ordered my usual, Mocha Frappaccino and Adeline got her precious, fresh-squeeze orange juice. We sat and talked in the comfy chairs by the window. Strangly, three people walked by that we had seen on the beach two days before. How does that happen? It's not the first time for that to happen to me. I rerun into people, complete strangers. We finished up and walked back to the museum to meet up with Candice so that she could take us to the train station.
Train station
This is how French ladies sit. It was in no way choreographed.
Once we arrived, we had about twenty minutes till our train. I took the opportunity to grab a few more photos. This station was so huge and so empty. It was hard to believe that I had only been there for a little over two days. It seemed like weeks. I didn't know Candice before this trip, but feel like I met a great friend. She was such a sweet, considerate hostess. The three of us laughed so much and I won't forget this trip. They might not want to travel with me again, considering my lack of luck abroad, but I would welcome it. Thank you ladies, many thanks!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are more than welcome sweet sweet Connie... And i would LOVE to travel with you, as long as you don't tell about my night life too much........ hihihihi !!

Love ya !!

Adeline

INTRI-KATE said...

If I were a pigeon or some other feckless (yes feckless) bird, I would totally live in a European train station. Maybe the one at Vichy. I like that one. Welp, bye!