Thursday, November 15, 2007

Nantes, finally...

This might be my most delayed blog yet. Yesterday my plans were to go to Cafe Columbus, have a chocolat blanc muffin with a mochoccino, and write the blog and study some French. The internet connection said that I was indeed connected, but I could not get service. By the end of the struggle I felt as though I was going to fall asleep. And that is what I did. Back at my flat, of course. Without further ado, here it is.

Last Saturday morning, early morning, I took a train to Nantes. It is in Brittany/Bretagne which in the west of France. My dear friend Anne is a student at a business school in the beautiful town. It was a train ride that I don't remember. I slept the entire two hours and twenty minutes. Upon arriving, we walked through the Jardin du Plantes (same name as the one in Paris) which was breathtaking. I resisted taking pictures then, because I knew we would be back (without luggage and a groggy disposition).

We relaxed in her flat for a bit until we got out and hit the town. I had the grande tour of Nantes. We walked the streets and saw artists and musicians - this one guy sang like a champ. He sang a diddy by U2 and boy did he do a bang-up job! I wanted to pour my savings into his guitar case. We passed chocolate stores and little boutiques.


Then we landed on the front doorstep of fnac. This was a fnac that surpassed all other fnacs. It was majestic! We spent a good, long time in there. I debated whether to purchase a movie or not. You know how much I love dvds. I resisted. Anne found the tv series Dallas. Any time I tell a Frenchie that I am from Dallas, they always say "Ah, Dallas. J.R." Too bad it wasn't filmed in Dallas, but in the wonderful Murphy, Texas. I might actually have to take a trip to Southfork Ranch sometime, just to get pictures for my French friends.


So French!


It was time for breakfast/lunch, not brunch though. Anne had told me about galettes and that she wanted me to have my first one in Nantes. We stopped at this adorable little creperie/galetterie (not sure if that's a word or not). I had the Galette Ivoirienne which had potatoes, raclette (fondue cheese), and bacon. It was large. Then, for dessert I had a chocolate-banana crepe. I don't think my stomach has felt that heavy in a LONG time. It made Mexican food feel like a light meal. Good thing we had plenty of walking ahead of us.

Our next stop was the Chateau of Nantes which is where Duchess Anne lives. She has such a horrible story. She was married at the age of 14 and had 15 children, which all but 2 died. She passed away at a young age and is known by all for her sad life. Her home was gorgeous though. Anne and I walked all around it. I wish it wasn't so cold because I had the internal shivers that kept me from taking it all in.










Anne and I went across the river to see The Machines (hey Anne - "da mahsheen, da mahsheen!"). It was a massive industrial building which a gift shop and cafe. I thought it looked somewhat like the Ark. I am pretty sure it was close to the dimensions as well. Anyway, there was a giant elephant that took people around the area. It even blew water. My photo cannot do it justice, but at least you can see the enormo elephant.



We stepped into a few boutiques that promised warmth and covetous thoughts. I wanted everything I saw. This cute little store with all types of yarn and buttons and felt and the like, had my heart from the beginning. I think that if I had a sewing machine in front of me now, I would not move away from it for weeks. Oh how I miss my hobby!

Our next stop was hot chocolate. No my dear American friends, this is not a "Swiss Mix" or "Nestle" type of hot chocolate. It was thick and REAL. Like nothing I've ever had. It was served at this gelato place called Amorino. I am lucky because there is one in Paris as well. Hmmm. Tonight sounds like a good time to have another.

After walking ourselved into submission, we went by the grocery store before heading home. I even saw a soda that was cappuccino flavored. Nasty, right? Anyway, we got food for dinner and for breakfast and lunch for Sunday. Our night consisted of talking. As of yet, we still hadn't spoken ANY French, which was a main objective. Anne must have been fatigued from all of the English. Time for bed.

The next morning was lost in sleep. It was nice. We slowly awoke and had our pain au chocolats and croissants. One word - Yum. Today's agenda consisted of taking pictures. We walked out to this island. The trees were gorgeous. I've always been a sucker for foliage. We took more than enough pictures and it was fantastic! Afterwards we had a scrumptious lunch in which I was taken back to Texas for a bit. Soft Tacos. Can I get a "what what"? It was so good. It brought back all the Chuy's cravings that I've managed to withhold for so long. Anne - Bravo on the lunch!





We went back out to the Jardin du Plantes. This is where our little photoshoot took place. I haven't use my timer enough. We would set the camera on a bench, push the button, run over to the other bend, then pose. Then we'd hop down, run the the bench, hit the timer again, and voila. That happened approximately 32, with no elaboration. Of all of those photos, I was blurry in hmmm, all of them. I guess I couldn't stop moving. See, I do better behind the camera. It was so beautiful there. We don't do parks right in the states. Central Park in NYC could maybe compare, maybe.





I really enjoyed Nantes. It was similar to Paris in the shopping areas and architecture, but when you got further out, the trees and space distinguished it. For a minutes, I felt as though I was in Missouri with all the hills and foliage. I had my things packed up and had to get back on my way back to Paris. The train ride wasn't too bad on the way back. I studied some French and read one of my Jane Austen novels.


Anne, THANK YOU my dear for such a fantastic visit!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

connie Con,


I wish i was there!

Anonymous said...

Connie Con,

I miss you soooo much!

Love too! MOM

INTRI-KATE said...

what Jane Austen novel did you read, eh?

Oh, and if you get a chance to go to Nice, there's a really awesome Mexican food place run by a guy from Texas. I think it's called, um, Texas.