Friday, November 2, 2007

Friday afternoon with Victor Hugo

The plan for today was to take the train out to see the Chateau de Versailles where Marie Antoinette and King Louis XV made history. I met up with Jasmin and Christina at FNAC to get our tickets. We thought we were smart so that we wouldn't have to wait in line for tickets in Versailles. However, they were sold out. Time to develop a plan B. We took a short walk around the corner to Starbucks to get some coffee and discuss the day. Let me take a moment to say that I love the velvet chairs in Starbucks.

I pulled out my Paris Plan and looked at a few places I still hadn't been. I've seen pictures of Place de Vosges, but have never been. I thought it would be nice to have a picnic out there, even though the weather was less than warm. We also noticed that Victor Hugo's house was there as well.

Christina needed to stop by Notre Dame to get the information for a concert on the 8th, so we took a long leisurely walk. The weather was very cool, but perfect for a long walk in sweaters. Once we arrived to Notre Dame, the line was all across the front entrance. I nabbed a few pictures while Christina was getting her pamphlet, then we were off to our destination.


It was my kind of day. We just headed in the right direction, paying no attention to which streets were were on. Walking down the streets was fantastic, just taking in the Paris-ness of it all. We went into a few shops with hats and scarves only to find out that they were wholesalers. Which, by the way, this area of the 3rd arrondissement must be down for wholesale shops, scooters, and camera sales. That's just about all we saw.

Typical Paris street corner

I was able to see Republique for the first time. The sky was a dark blue that came across amazingly in the pictures...


I saw my reflection in a window and let out a good laugh for all you back home. I was wearing a typical female Parisian outfit. I must admit that is possibly the most comfortable ensemble that I own. Yes, it's all black, but hey, that's Paris. I don't like to be a dull statue in pictures, so just for you, I wanted to display my acrobatic skills courtesy of my my mother's teaching skills during my childhood.




We found our place, but needed food to fill our stomach for the picnic. We went into Monoprix to grab drinks and chips to accompany our paninis from the Italian sandwich shop next door. The street was so typically Parisian. The buildings so old and the shops so quaint. Once arriving to the park, we found a place to sit underneath a statue. All of the benches were either taken by people or bird droppings. The view from where we sat was enough to pinch yourself. It's views like this that make picnics so necessary. However, I looked up to grab a picture of the statue and noticed that we had the less than favorable view. I could not deprive you of it.




After eating and having more than enough conversation, we grabbed our things and began walking around the park and then around the neighborhood in search of Victor Hugo's place. If you haven't noticed already, the tree in Paris are ALWAYS lined up. Along with lined trees are benches to sit and think, read, snuggle, eat, or sleep. Fall is sending all the leaves away and remaining are the bare branches and cold air.

The doors and windows in Paris somehow tell a story. It's like a person's eyes. There is something so captivating with these two things. You think about the people that have walked through or gazed out. Why were they there and what we were thinking and feeling.






We made a circle before realizing that we were only about 100 feet away from the Maison de Victor Hugo during out picnic. Walking up to the maison, we saw a harpist. Yes, a harpist. It was beautiful. Rarely do I hear the sound. It's like no other. He was so graceful.

We finally arrived and paroused through the gift shop. Christina found out that tickets inside the home were free. We took the stairs up to the 2nd floor (which is the 3rd floor in the States, but the French refer to the first floor as 0). There were ornate windows with stained glass that were so detailed. The stairs themselves were made of limestone which showed the wear and tear of those that climbed them. It had almost a polishing effect.




Once we entered we were taken back a hundred years or so. The ceilings were high and the windows went to the top. Every wall was covered in fabric. Almost every room was dark and cozy, almost a haven for introspection. I expected something like this from a writer. The first room we entered had black and check checkered marble floors and old, retouched paintings. The next room was a striking red. It had furniture pieces and more paintings, but of is wife and son and muse. His view out the windows were of Place des Vosges. The next room was bright with chairs that had a plate-walled backdrop. It was entirely carved wood that was painted with designed. The ceilings even had the etched wood. Nothing in the house was less than intricately done. I had to capture a picture of myself through one of the mirrors. It was a place of inspiration as I decided today that I am going to take on a writing project. Potentially a book. Thank you Victor Hugo.








The next room was one of the darkest. It had a long dinner table, but we found out that it was the location where he wrote Les Miserable. It was at THAT table that one of the world's literary masterpieces was written. How surreal! There was also a bust that Auguste Rodin did of him. There is something about his work that captures the essence of the person. Victor Hugo's head was tilted as if writing. Magnificent. The Rodin Museum (which was actually his residence while he was alive) is actually just behind my flat, just a hop, skip, and a jump. This might have been the push to get me to go.


The next was his bedroom. It wasn't what I expected. All of the furniture was dark, hand-carved wood and the walls and ceilings were red. It took everything in me not to run in and hop in the bed and take a long nap. I have never seen such an inviting room. This wasn't a room for reading or socializing, it was for sleep.


That ended our tour. It wasn't a massive home, but it was definitely spectacular. We went back down the staircase to the gift shop. We saw a guestbook and had a few laughs. I was tempted to write, "Hey Vic, nice place. Thanks for inviting us. Heard your stuff was great. Promise to read one of 'em soon. - Connie, Dallas Texas"

2 comments:

INTRI-KATE said...

I would like to address several issues here:

First, your pictures are UH-MAZING. I know I say that every time, but they are truly spectacular.

Second, there's a little chocolatier called "Vosges." I've gotten gifts for friends from there and you should so check them out. They have a website. Maybe vosges.com.

Third, I love love love the house of Victor Hugo. Isn't it fantastic???

Fourth, I liked the perspective on that statue. So often, horses are only appreciated for their front half. And did you know that a statue of a man on a horse means he fought in battle and a statue of a man on a horse with his front two legs up means the man died in battle? Just some trivia for ya.

Fifth, I think you might need to marry that guy that was in the picture of you jumping down the street. He was way into you.

connie said...

So what does it mean if a man is on a horse with all four legs on the ground, but his tail is lifted? Hmmm, research that, will you?