Not to mention the many discussions of the correct way to say pecan pie - is it PEEEE-can pie or Peh-cawn pie?
After a few emails sent out by the host, Eric, it was all underway. I would take care of the mashed potatoes (because the French don't really do these correctly), Texas Gold Bars, and deviled eggs.
As the weekend inched along, Eric would update me to say "Oh we have another one coming" or "Two more people will be coming" and so on. The final number was 30. Hmmm. I've never made mashed potatoes for thirty.
The night before I made sure to make the amazing Texas Gold Bars, which can only be made with American ingredients, sadly. They came out superbly and I share with the family. They loved them. I packed the remaining bit for the Thanksgiving dinner.
Saturday I went to the store and grabbed two bags of potatoes, milk, and eggs. I made it over to Eric's and happened to see him walking outside with the florist that works downstairs from his flat. She was carrying a massive flower arrangement that is typically French.

Once I reached the top, I began the cooking routine. He cleaned and arranged the flat for a feast for thirty people. I had to peel alot of potatoes. Then I had to use three pots to boil the potatoes, in which one wouldn't boil.

Some girls began to show up and help out and get the flat ready. I thought boiling the potatoes was hard work, but I had forgotten the task of mashing them without a blending/mixer. Not easy. However, it all worked out. My right arm is now stronger than the left, but it's all good. In the midst of all of that, Eric and Gaby showed up with the three turkeys. The girls that were there helped with carving them. What a task!



After all the preparations, friends started showing up, one by one. We had enough wine and champagne for a village to feast on and more kept coming. Desserts were coming in as well. There was so much food. The excitement was building and finally we began to eat. I won't list off what we had, you can see the pictures. I had little labels to show what each item was, unless it was something like corn or turkey. Then we noticed that we didn't have any gravy. I went in the kitchen to whip some up. Some Frenchies asked "How will you turn it brown?" I said, "Well I won't. This is how we do it in the south. It's called 'country gravy'." There you have it.





It was a great time had by all. Everyone kept going on and on about how good all the food tasted. Everyone really chipped in and made it a memorable night.

1 comment:
Connie, quit. writing. about. food. I think I might do bodily harm to myself if I don't eat a deviled egg immediately.
Post a Comment