Friday, November 23, 2007

My Turkey Days: Part Un

On Thanksgiving Day I had to work. I realized that it was the first Thanksgiving ever that I didn't sit around. Bizarre. After I got off work, I hopped on my trottinette and zoomed over to my friend Brian's flat. He lives between me and the Eiffel Tower. Such a short little trip down Rue Saint-Dominique. A friend, Kara, from Colorado was there with her mom and cousins, who also know Brian from Elon University in North Carolina. By the time I had arrived, they had already eaten, but they scooped me up some of the delicious homemade Chicken and Dumpling Soup. There was wine and cheese and salad. We had some great conversation and laughs. It was nice to talk fast and have everyone understand. I haven't had that in a long time and didn't realize that it was missing.

Kara and her mother had to leave, but the rest of us watched a video of Rob Bell and an episode of The Office. We laughed, just a little. I made new friends that night. It was probably the perfect Thanksgiving night that I could have had while in Paris.

I left around midnight, maybe a little bit later. As I was riding my trottinette home, I could see this weird lighting change behind me. It kind of scared me. I turned around and saw the Eiffel Tower begin to sparkle. I don't think I will ever get used to this or grow old of it.

I got a little teary-eyed because I remembered last Thanksgiving. It was the first time that I discussed the possibility of moving to Paris. I so knew that I had to do it. I had such a strong peace about it...even though I had no idea who the family would be or how I would get there. Absolutely peace is something that is sometimes so rarely that you can have tunnel vision until you reach the destination. That's where I was. It seemed no one understood it and I couldn't describe it. But I had a glimpse of last Thanksgiving when I was so torn and so sad because others were disappointed in my decision, but so hopeful for what my next Thanksgiving would be like. There I was, in that moment, in the spot that I had wondered about. I was in the place that I had looked forward to. I was thankful and overjoyed that I had obeyed the call and followed the peace that led me here. It was as if it had all come full circle. I stood there for about ten minutes to soak it all up. Then, like clockwork, I took out my camera to capture Thanksgiving night in Paris.



By this time it was about 12:30, but I couldn't go home. I had to zoom around and take in the fresh air and sights of Paris at night. Christmas lights are beginning to go up and it gives the city a whole new feel. I might be taking more pictures during this season than any other time. Beware.

1 comment:

INTRI-KATE said...

*tear*

What in the world is a trotinette?