Friday, December 21, 2007

My Christmas Party for the Kids...

Tonight had been planned for a little over a week. The family leaves for Morocco on Sunday and I won't see them for a week, so I thought a little American Christmas fun would be a good event.

For the last week I have been on the search for the best American Christmas movie. What do you think would be your top pick? I thought Elf, but was vetoed by both older boys because they thought it was so ridiculous. Zac loved it though. Hmmm, my thoughts were either A Christmas Story or National Lampoons Christmas Vacation. I've looked online at FNAC and they don't carry the first choice...on to the second. I checked three FNACs with no luck. However, I was fortunate to find my second choice last night on the Champs-Elysees.

After I picked up Zac from school, we went to Le Grande Epicerie for the ingredients. It's more of an upscale groceries story, very posh, but it also carries some American products. I didn't find taco shells, but did find a "kit". I also had to buy some baking powder for the cookies and some candy for, well, just because. The lines were long and everyone was in a huff. The aisles were cramped and Scrooge definitely had his hand in that place. Zac and I hurried back to the house, only first stopping at Proxi to get the last ingredients for the tacos.

I remembered I still had all of my queso stuff that Mom sent back in August. Perfect night to make it! We made it back up to the house and I began it all. The boys all came in to help. I stuck with the tacos and I had Barth and Zac make the cookies, while Balthazar was in charge of chopping the tomatoes and lettuce. It all started coming together nicely.

Verena was still at gymnastics which made me a little sad that she missed the whole thing. The parents weren't back yet, but the four of us had a really great time. The queso was tres, tres, tres chaud! Whew...spicy hot! Zac and Barth loved it, but Balthazar wouldn't try it. He hates cheese. Even after trying to convince him that Velveeta isn't really cheese, he didn't budge. He stuck with salsa. The tacos were a hit, the rice was great, the queso hit the spot!

The cookies turned out well. We bought some M&Ms to put on them as well as some icing. Zac had a bit of fun, Barth made a heart, and Balthazar told me they tasted like the first bread that was broken back in the days of Christ. He called them stones. He's my resident food critic. He's a comedy act each night with him and I.


We started the movie and it was really funny. I forgot how great it was. The rest of the family piled in, ate, then joined us for the movie. Lots of laughs. Afterwards, they presented me with some gifts, wonderful gifts. Zac did a few old man impressions by pulling his pants up to his chest, then walking with a limp and saying "ehhhhh".

It was kind of sad to tell them goodbye. I know I will see them soon, but I am really going to miss them. I am kind of jealous that they get to go to Morocco. I've got plans. There are actually a TON of friends staying here for Christmas. There is church service at Notre Dame on Christmas Eve, a Christmas Dinner at a friend's flat, and just a lot time to hang out. It's all good!

No comments: