Saturday, November 1, 2008

I LOVE holidays!

So here I am in my hostel cafeteria sippin' on some coffee creamed with chocolate milk and spiffed up with some sugar. I've been reading a ton lately, but the highlight has been spending time with my new friend, Jennifer Pellow, and all the places that have dropped our jaw.

We started off in Venice. Yes, I ran in the marathon. Now don't think I'm a stud because I have a lack of motivation when it comes to anything, so my training was non-existant. I actually didn't expect to run more that six miles. I just wanted to check and see what a marathon was like. I was too scared that I would get injured and not be able to enjoy the rest of our vacation.

Our hotel in Venice was AMAZING. I loved this place and the people were so very kind. So I ran a half marathon before giving in to a knee problem that had began around mile five. I took the sweep bus back into Venice and ran to the finish. All in all (including the mile and a half sprint to catch the bus in the morning) I ran a total of about 16 to 17 miles. That in itself was a massive feat.

After spending three fantastic days in Venice, we caught an overnight train to Vienna. It's bigger than I thought and not nearly as mountainous. Then after a couple of days, we caught a train to Salzburg. Now, now, now THIS is my dream place. I love this city. We changed our plans and decided to stay here for two nights/three days. I could go on and on about the beauty. I am looking out the window now and can see mountains AND the fortress, which was shown on the Sound of Music. We are literally, directly, across the street from it.

We leave in a bit to go back to Vienna. We will stay one more night and I will board a place back to Paris and Jenn will hop on another train to Budapest. It's been one of the best weeks I've ever had. Lots of firsts, people.

Here's a fun one...I used a toilet that WAS a hole in the ground. Yes, Surprise. It was in Venice during my run, around mile 8. Emergency.

I've taken hundreds of photos and I cannot wait to edit them and share. Pray for some space on my computer to clear up. The sites have been breathtaking. Oh today we are going to Mozart's birthplace and residence. OH and I was IN the actual room that he performed in for the Queen of Austria when he was 6. I think this is amazing because I LOVE the movie Amadeus and this scene is in the film.

Alright, battery power is fading. Time for me to go. Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

murielg said...

Hi connie!, have you considered buying an external hard drive? I recently bought a 250GB maxtor mini HD and it's been great...and it was not too expensive.
I hope you continue to post pictures of your european adventures :)

Muriel

megan k said...

Hey were you in Venice when the streets flooded? Wasn't that in Venice?